Wÿld Ünÿcÿrns - A music-based shooterlike game made for music game jam 2018

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
NotARaptor
Citizen

Wÿld Ünÿcÿrns - A music-based shooterlike game made for music game jam 2018

Post by NotARaptor »

Hi everyone!

A friend and I have been extremely busy over the last two weeks making our submission for Music Game Jam 2018!

We ran out of time to do half the features we wanted to, but in the end we managed to get it to a playable and (hopefully!) fun state, with two complete levels.

The entirety of the code is written in Löve, of course, and as always it's a dream to work with.

Because of the deadline the code ended up being a lot messier than I'd like, and I'll definitely be refactoring a lot of areas there, and we'll keep updating it and adding new features.

It was originally prototyped with graphics from Kenny's Assets (if you don't know him, you should. I've bought all of his bundles!), before being replaced with our custom graphics. The musical instruments are icons from flaticon.com - we were going to do our own, but time time time!

My good friend and coworker trapuh composed all the music and drew all the graphics; the background crowd sounds are us and my girlfriend, as are the in-game voiceover comments :)

It was a wonderful, hectic and sleep-depriving experience, and I'd definitely do it again!

We'd very much appreciate a bit of feedback from anyone who'd like to play it. The link contains both the pre-packaged Windows executable, and the .love file downloads.

Wÿld Ünÿcÿrns!!

Feel free to poke at the code too, but be warned, it's messy as anything! For now...

Thanks everyone!
NotARaptor
Citizen

Re: Wÿld Ünÿcÿrns - A music-based shooterlike game made for music game jam 2018

Post by NotARaptor »

I also wrote up a quick devlog, going into some of the bells and whistles that go on under the hood.

https://notaraptor.itch.io/wyld-unycyrn ... -wld-ncrns

It doesn't go into anything Löve-specific, but all of the features listed there are implemented with Löve :)
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Cool game!

I had to make a little adjustment to make it work.

Code: Select all

--- main_game.lua.orig	2018-09-17 23:40:04.000000000 +0200
+++ main_game.lua	2018-09-19 16:18:21.180301615 +0200
@@ -50,7 +50,7 @@
 	float amount = sqrt(x*x+y*y); // /sqrt(2)
 	amount = amount * amount * amount * amount * amount * amount;
 	float threshhold = .75;
-	if (amount < sqrt(2)) {
+	if (amount < sqrt(2.0)) {
 		//discard;
 	}
 	color.a = color.a * (amount/threshhold) * 0.125;
Edit: Also, sqrt(x*x+y*y) raised to the 6th power should equal pow(x*x+y*y, 3). Not sure if the GPU knows how to optimize that.
NotARaptor
Citizen

Post by NotARaptor »

Cheers mate :)

The shader code is messy as hell, I admit it! Very much a tinker with it until it works kind of approach. Squaring it doesn't work? Cube. Keep multiplying until it looks right!

That code is from the overlay shader which it uses when you're low on mojo (or playing a musician who doesn't have a part to play); it's dark at the edges and lighter in the middle. Ended up just trying different things to make it look "ok", didn't really go in there with a plan other than "shading based on distance from centre".

Thanks for the heads-up on the type strictness in GLSL; it worked for me so I didn't think to tighten the type management. I'll bear that in mind in the future.

This was my first time writing more than the most trivial shaders - it was great fun and I'm going to spend a lot more time studying shader coding. But that will be at my own pace, not in a mad rush for a game jam!

Thanks for playing the game :)
orangeglo
Prole

Post by orangeglo »

Bill and Ted fan?

Game looks great!
NotARaptor
Citizen

Post by NotARaptor »

orangeglo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 pm Bill and Ted fan?
Station.

Thank you :)