The Yam of Endor - Traditional Roguelike Space Shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
JoshGrams
Prole

The Yam of Endor - Traditional Roguelike Space Shooter

Post by JoshGrams »

The Yam of Endor (itch.io) is an attempt to capture the feel of Asteroids clones or cave flyers (Thrust, X-Pilot, Galak-Z, etc.) without the twitch-based elements. It's a small (5 level) turn-based ASCII-display roguelike on a hex grid. I started it during the 2018 Seven Day Roguelike challenge. I ran over well into the 8th day, so I had to declare it a failure as a 7DRL. But it was more-or-less playable and I liked how it felt. So later on I did some playtesting with a couple of friends, and put in two more one-week-ish rounds of development to fine-tune the mechanics and improve the UI and I think it's about finished now.

I'd love to hear what you think!

--Josh

ItsSeaJay
Prole

Re: The Yam of Endor - Traditional Roguelike Space Shooter

Post by ItsSeaJay »

This certainly looks interesting. The movement system is like nothing I've seen before. I'll definitely want to come back to this. It's visually sharp and uses colour well.
JoshGrams
Prole

Post by JoshGrams »

Thanks! In hindsight it might have been better (definitely more beginner-friendly) to do a more traditional space-game interface and slow time to a crawl when you're not providing any input the way SUPERHOT does. But I started this for the 2018 seven-day roguelike challenge, and at the time it seemed like a clever idea to do the ASCII-art grid-based thing.

Here's a video of the deepest two levels:

JoshGrams
Prole

Post by JoshGrams »

Huh. Looks like I never posted about my latest update: version 0.5 adds gamepad support and has friendlier aiming (if you accidentally hit the wrong direction, you can correct it without it taking an extra turn).