Endless Dungeon

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
randomnovice
Party member

Endless Dungeon

Post by randomnovice »

Hi folks,

This is my latest project, in amongst the other things I still have yet to finish...! ;)

It's a 2D dungeon crawler game, with procedurally generated levels.
There's a page on itch.io here.

Features
  • Procedurally generated levels
  • Three difficulty settings
  • Four character ability traits (strength, dexterity, constitution and intelligence)
  • Ranged and melee weapons
  • A variety of different enemies
  • Spells
  • Permadeath! (But resurrection stones will save you!)
  • Shops
  • Traps
  • Tomes to increase abilities
Lots of tweaks in balance are still needed (it's a bit difficult!) but it's now fully playable and completable! (do let me know any bug spots!).

Controls
Move: arrows or wasd
Weapon: 1 / right-shift (or with melee weapons simply run into your enemy)
Rest: r
Inventory: i
Character: c
Spellbook: b
Interact/Pick-up: enter
Pause: space
Menu: escape
Scroll commentary: ] and '
Toggle GUI: g
Toggle Map: m

The graphics were provided here: https://opengameart.org/content/dungeon ... 2x32-tiles

Let me know what you think and what level you make it to!
Last edited by randomnovice on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:59 am, edited 32 times in total.
elendiel7
Prole

Re: Endless Dungeon

Post by elendiel7 »

So I played it and died a few times. I think it's a good start, although I was wondering how you felt about the line of sight of your character? I think it's a bit too dark. The line of sight is noticeable of course, but I would personally make it more prominent from a more usability standpoint.

Also, I was a little annoyed that escape didn't back out of the inventory menu. Pressing I again seemed counter-intuitive, although I suppose other games in this genre may adopt a similar method.

In regards to everything else, it's actually pretty neat. I find your level generation to be simple yet effective. The combat was relatively straightforward and I really liked that the enemies seemed to follow you if you attempted to escape. It feels good. So good work!
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Thanks elendiel7... great feedback.
You're right, escape would be a more natural exit to the inventory.
Re: line of sight... just to double check that you equipped the torch? There will be light spells and also equipment that grants bonuses to light as the torch takes up a shield slot.
elendiel7
Prole

Post by elendiel7 »

Oh I see! That would make it better!
Xugro
Party member

Post by Xugro »

Nice game! It is really hard (or I am really bad at it :D).
  • What I missed the most was a way to heal fast. If you are alone you can just wait for your HP to fill up, but this just takes a long time.
  • It would be nice if the infos of an item are shown if you "hover" over it. And additionally it would be easier if there was a hotkey to equip the item.
  • Monster do not go around the stairs (and other obstacles). So you are safe and can heal up easily.
Edit: With a mix of strength and dexterity I came down to level 18, but then I accidentally pressed Esc. The game saved, but I could not resume, only start a new game. After restarting love I could select to resume the game, but after loading I only got a blue screen and the following error:

Code: Select all

Error: main.lua:1360: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'X' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[string "boot.lua"]:637: in function '__sub'
	main.lua:1360: in function 'drawfloatytext'
	main.lua:1334: in function 'drawgui'
	main.lua:1200: in function 'draw'
	main.lua:40: in function <main.lua:4>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	[string "boot.lua"]:650: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:639>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Thanks for the feedback and the bugspot. I'll see what's happening there.
You did really well to reach level 18... further than I've got!!

re: Healing.
Shops will help with this (currently working on them). Purchasing healing potions will help.

re: Information and hotkey.
Nice idea, thanks.

re: Pathfinding
Current update I'm working on has fixed this... it does make it more difficult to get away though!

Thanks for playing!
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Just to say I think that bug is now fixed and I've added shops :)
Xugro
Party member

Post by Xugro »

randomnovice wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 pm Just to say I think that bug is now fixed and I've added shops :)
That makes things much easier :)

But I have found another bug: I cannot go to level 21. The game hangs in the loading screen of level 21 and even waiting some time does not help. I attached a savegame (at level 20) so that you can check this easily.
Attachments
savegame.txt
Savegame for a character in level 20
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Thank you. Off the top of my head I think it may be a monster generation bug as I've not added many of the later monsters yet.
I'll have a look.
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Pickettroy1991 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:46 am if this game is available in bluestack? i already download bluestacks for pc.
looking for good game emulator,
Hi there,
I had to look up BlueStacks... looks a neat bit of software! However this isn't yet designed as a mobile game at all.
This game is currently in development and I'm just working on the .love file for now and haven't packaged it in any other way than that so far. But if you want to take that .love file and do something else with it be my guest.

Ps: Good time to mention I'm pretty close to adding spells!