Transport sim / Procedural city generation

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
dusoft
Party member

Transport sim / Procedural city generation

Post by dusoft »

Hey,

I have been working for past few weeks on a transport sim that focuses on city transport / public transport management.

To offer option to create and play scenarios (and not have same city over and over) I have also developed city generation on the way with different types of buildings, water (river and lakes), roads, railroad and transport hubs (airports, train and bus stations). I already have way to generate random city based on number of scenario parameters. I can have cities with or without water, with an airport or with just a bus station and so on.

It's still a prototype without graphics, but you can get the feeling. A city is based on a configurable grid (currently 100x100 blocks, but could be of any size) and sectors (random no. of blocks in width/height) where certain type of buildings (residential, industrial, commercial, greenery etc.) is more common than others. It already has lines with stops and passengers that react to environmental changes - e.g. they wait until there is a stop/line in their vicinity and can switch lines/vehicles in order to get to their destination. I have around 13 thousand passengers generated with individual destinations. Pathfinding fully works for cars (currently represented by dots), line vehicles and passengers.

I am aiming for something similar to Simutrans, but purely focused on towns/cities. Also, there will be less micro management and more of big picture such as line management (but not individual vehicles), rush hour transport peaks, traffic jams etc.

BTW, I might work more on OSMLove that will help to generate city grids based on actual cities (from OSM maps).
Attachments
line with stops and vehicles (represented by circles)
line with stops and vehicles (represented by circles)
4.png (17.91 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
bridges over water automatically generated for roads and railroad
bridges over water automatically generated for roads and railroad
3.png (16.12 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
river, lake, three transport hubs - airport, train and bus station (white boxes)
river, lake, three transport hubs - airport, train and bus station (white boxes)
2.png (21.07 KiB) Viewed 4391 times