Mario Kart: Extreme Drift

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
randomnovice
Party member

Re: Mario Kart: Extreme Drift

Post by randomnovice »

Thanks for fixing the FPS... I really enjoyed having a little drive around!
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Jasoco wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:37 pm You really should consider replacing the assets with your own graphics to make this a full game.

The rain effects are impressive.
Alright, well, here's the first part of that.

It was only a few lines of code to add the "3D" shading, but it's really making me wonder at this point why I'm still using Love... I'm not far from abandoning this and moving to a 3D kart game made in Godot instead. This has already gone a lot farther than I was expecting it to. I plan on at least getting something that's playable and releasing the editing tools and 3D models.
josepedrodias
Prole

Post by josepedrodias »

This is amazing. I agree that you're reaching pretty solid results and would probably benefit from departing the nintendo artwork. Congrats
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Definitely keep going with this. It's too polished.
Robertiiiino
Prole

Post by Robertiiiino »

Looks good, man!
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

This is beautiful. The reflections are amazing.

Totally agree with Jasoco, above. Release this! :D
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Very cool project. One tweak that could make it sound nicer, is making the motor rev up while drifting (wheelspin).
lerabot
Prole

Post by lerabot »

I've just tried it and I love the mix of retro look and reflection shader. Looks wonderful.

I have a bug to report; if you hit one of the "road stopper" in the grass, you cart simply stop, you can't reverse, you can't move, nothing!

Otherwise, this is super neat. Add a local multiplayer mode and you're golden! ... ok maybe some more tracks ;)
Darlex
Party member

Post by Darlex »

retrotails wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 am So here I am again, years later, with another Mario Kart thing. This time it's a bit more playable, though.
2 years ago, hatninja PM'd me about my Mario Kart shader demo, asking for a bit of help to make this
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83309
and that helped me get sprites working, but I never really got around to making an actual game with my shader.
And now, on the 10th anniversary of my Youtube channel (which started out with a Super Mario Kart video,) I have an early test release of Mario Kart: Extreme Drift, a box2d-based, drifting focused Super Mario Kart clone with more advanced physics and 100% faked 3D.

The game is licensed GPL v3, and the code is mine apart from some help with sprite rendering from hatninja. I do have at least 2 other people who plan to help with code and custom tracks after the first stable release.

Controls are hard-coded for this initial release, arrow keys and space bar for player 1, WASD and left shift for player 2. Also you can hold L to see a 2D version of the track, and use numbers 1-6 to change the view perspective.
There is a bug that when i crash with an AI, my kart just stuck to the AI's kart and i cant move. Weirdly when i press down the speed of the AI's Kart decreases. Anyways, the way it looks is really impressive!
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!