Turn based battle system (final fantasy-ish)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Tabaqui
Prole

Turn based battle system (final fantasy-ish)

Post by Tabaqui »

Hi all!

For the last month(s) i've been working on a 2d JRPG similar to final fantasy 6. I've programmed the exploration and menu states in java, but i've decided to migrate the game to love2d, starting with something completely new to me: the battle system.

The battle system is a side-view (like final fantasy 1-6) turn based battle where characters with the highest speed will act first (like dragon quest). I've abandoned the idea to implement an ATB system because i feel like finding out the turn order and using it at your advantage is more rewarding than simply waiting for the ATB gauge to fill.

My initial idea was to have the whole engine running (exploration, menu and battle) with a little game demo before posting something, but since the work to do is still a lot and i need some extra motivation, i thought that some feedback would have been nice.

Instructions:
  • Use WASD/arrows to navigate the menus
  • Use spacebar/z/enter and other keys i don't remember to confirm selection
  • Use escape/x/ins and other keys i don't remember to cancel selection
I've implemented a couple of skills (Heal and Fire) and an item (Potion) you can use. The fire spell is broken atm since it's targeting all enemies but the damage output is too high (i was testing multiple targets).

There also might be some placeholder texts in italian i didn't translate.

Things i need to do now:
  • Refactor the battle class
  • Implement AI: enemies are just spamming normal attacks at the moment
  • Show statuses on the main window (yes, statuses are already there but there's still no skill that can cause them)
  • Implement the level up system
  • Add droppable items, gold and exp at the end of the battle
  • Stop thinking that the work to do is too much for a single person
  • Stop thinking at all probably
  • Stop refactoring code every two days
  • Adding animated character-like enemies (to do this i need to refactor some code)
Any feedback will be appreciated! If you think the game is crap feel free to say it (but please, try to sweeten the pill a bit :awesome: ).

And sorry for the bad english!

PS:
I don't own any media used in this demo: graphics too. I've just edited some RPGMaker2000 standard sprites to use them as placeholders.
Attachments
alpha_battlesystem.love
(7.96 MiB) Downloaded 304 times
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Turn based battle system (final fantasy-ish)

Post by sphyrth »

This is a neat accomplishment! I forgot that I was even playing an alpha demo.

I loled when I got 0 of everything but still "leveled up".
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Nice! Really gives me nostalgia, especially that victory music(it says final fantasy 3 but I think I've heard it in another game). I got it to run on android by tinkering with the shader(remove all "=" at uniforms and changing numbers to float,etc) and using love.keyboard.setTextInput(true) and removing the keyreleased setting keys to nil.
Really seems like a real RPG I'd play on my phone or GBA emulator or something.
Cool demo all in all.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Tabaqui
Prole

Post by Tabaqui »

sphyrth wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:06 pm This is a neat accomplishment! I forgot that I was even playing an alpha demo.

I loled when I got 0 of everything but still "leveled up".
Thank you :awesome:
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:28 pm Nice! Really gives me nostalgia, especially that victory music(it says final fantasy 3 but I think I've heard it in another game). I got it to run on android by tinkering with the shader(remove all "=" at uniforms and changing numbers to float,etc) and using love.keyboard.setTextInput(true) and removing the keyreleased setting keys to nil.
Really seems like a real RPG I'd play on my phone or GBA emulator or something.
Cool demo all in all.
Yup, nostalgia is the exact feeling i want to give with this game! And yes, the victory music is from FF3 :nyu:

By the way i've spent a lot of energy on this project in the last weeks and i'm starting to burn out, so i think i'll take a little break experimenting some stuff with love2d. I'll probably work on something i've always wanted to try: raycasting!