IDE4 LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
iPoisonxL
Party member

IDE4 LÖVE

Post by iPoisonxL »

I know this has been said 39248392 times, and will probably be said another 591294 times, but...

I am creating a LÖVE IDE.

This is different to the other ones though. It will be very thorough and GUI orientated. It will work. Hopefully.

See, I've just started using C#. I've been programming mad with it, and now I think it's time to take on a relatively difficult challenge. This is probably going to help me learn a lot of C# stuff I haven't learned yet, like drawing canvas and probably lots of input stuff. But we'll see how it goes! I'm most likely going to call it IDE4 LÖVE, as in IDEA. But with the A into a 4. Because that writes IDE 4 (for) LÖVE. Yeah. You get it.

I'm most likely going to update this post in the following days with a prototype very early version. I will write a log at the end of this post and it will be updated, and I will also post a new post for major updates. Let's hope this goes well. Wish me luck on this journey!

In all honesty, I have no idea if I'll follow through with this all the way and I'm sure you're doubting me too. But that's alright, there's a possibility and that's all I need.

UPDATE LOG

Nothing here, yet

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website
tio
Citizen

Re: IDE4 LÖVE

Post by tio »

Please make it as portable as LÖVE is.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

iPoisonxL wrote:I am creating a LÖVE IDE.
It's a noble goal and a long process. I've posted something similar more than four years ago after doing my research on available LÖVE IDEs: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9762&p=59987. I'm still working on it (http://studio.zerobrane.com) and my todo list is longer than it was four years ago. Even though most of the changes are not directly related to LÖVE, they are still targeted at improving development and debugging of Lua code (and the IDE provides access to LÖVE-specific methods in auto-complete and tooltips).

I can tell you that I've been helped by not starting from scratch (as I started with extending an existing project) and also by using Scintilla as the editor component (which eliminated a good chunk of editor-related work). It was still quite a bit of work with more than 2500 commits in the IDE and related components over the last four years.

My advice is to focus mostly on those components you want to learn or on those you expect to be most useful to your users and re-use as much as possible from what's been done so far.
iPoisonxL
Party member

Post by iPoisonxL »

paulclinger wrote:
iPoisonxL wrote:I am creating a LÖVE IDE.
It's a noble goal and a long process. I've posted something similar more than four years ago after doing my research on available LÖVE IDEs: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9762&p=59987. I'm still working on it (http://studio.zerobrane.com) and my todo list is longer than it was four years ago. Even though most of the changes are not directly related to LÖVE, they are still targeted at improving development and debugging of Lua code (and the IDE provides access to LÖVE-specific methods in auto-complete and tooltips).

I can tell you that I've been helped by not starting from scratch (as I started with extending an existing project) and also by using Scintilla as the editor component (which eliminated a good chunk of editor-related work). It was still quite a bit of work with more than 2500 commits in the IDE and related components over the last four years.

My advice is to focus mostly on those components you want to learn or on those you expect to be most useful to your users and re-use as much as possible from what's been done so far.
Wow, you're the guy who's making Zerobrane studio! I actually looked at heaps of existing LÖVE IDE's, and thought this one striked me as one of the most complete. Anyway, I aim on making a Unity-like experience. So most of the actual logic scripting will be handled in an external editor. The stuff that will be handled in the IDE will be graphical, physics, etc.

For example. Simply click a "New Circle Object" button for a new circle, then write some script relating to this object adding logic.

I am aware that this will take lots of work but I'm willing to give it a go.

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

So your making a love gamemaker. Not really an ide?
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

@iPoisonxL So if you want to create something like an "Editor" (because the runtime is already LÖVE), i also wouldn't start from scratch.

There is an interesting OpenSource 2D Editor out there Overlap2D.

It has all nessesary features (also Spine and Box2D support) and is in active development. It meant to use with LibxGDX. But why not write an loader and scene manager for LÖVE? The scenes are saved in json.

You only need to write a json scene loader, an texture atlas loader and a scene manager for löve.

If some things does not work in Löve you can still "enhance" Overlap2D.

I mean, this scope should be manageable.