What code editor do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
RaycatRakittra
Prole

Re: What code editor do you use ?

Post by RaycatRakittra »

Spacemacs. Might be moving to vanilla Emacs to see how it works on the inside.
Sometimes, I can code things.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I use Vim with the Gruvbox colorscheme, Proggy Square Slashed Zero font, with my own Vim-love-docs highlighting.

You can see it bigger here
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

davisdude wrote:I use Vim with the Gruvbox colorscheme, Proggy Square Slashed Zero font, with my own Vim-love-docs highlighting.

You can see it bigger here
I like what you did there :)

Here's mine:

It can be found here:
https://github.com/Murii/Vim_for_c-cpp
Last edited by Murii on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theresaspyaroundhere
Prole

Post by theresaspyaroundhere »

Zerobrane Studio
reno57
Prole

Post by reno57 »

"Sublime text", clearly the best free text editor i've ever seen.
CanadianGamer
Party member

Post by CanadianGamer »

My favorite text editor is Atom. It's open source, it is extremely customizable and can do pretty much everything that Sublime can.
My serious itch.io page:
https://pentamonium-studios.itch.io/
My less serious itch.io page:
http://canadiangamer.itch.io
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

Dear sirs, could you list the essential Lua plug-ins for Visual Studio Code? Thank you!!
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
CalmoSoft
Prole

Post by CalmoSoft »

Hello All,

I use Zerobrane Studio.

Greetings,
Gal Zsolt
(~ CalmoSoft ~)
skyHights
Citizen

Post by skyHights »

Zerobrane, I've tried a lot, but it has to be the best.
Learning to Löve.
phobos2077
Prole

Post by phobos2077 »

I'm still searching for a "perfect" editor and it seems nothing works as a full IDE. I have come from professional coding background (PHP, C#, JS) so maybe my requirements are too high :)

Here's what I want:
1. Syntax highlighting. Obviously.
2. An actual code completion, not only for basic Lua functions and LOVE API but also for all my own functions and classes/tables I create. I want it to read LuaDoc and trace types for at least some of the variables that I use. So I can use code completion when working with some library, for example...
3. Running and debugging a game from the editor, with breakpoints, watches, etc.

Here's what I tried:
1. Notepad++ (my default editor for text files). Running anything is a mess. No debugging, no code analysis...
2. Visual Studio 2015 with BabeLua. Good running and debugging (but a mess to configure). No LOVE API hints. No console output.
3. Jetbrains IDEA with Lua plugin. Real pain to configure. Debugging is useless (I tried the .cmd file workaround and put mobdebug.lua inside my project folder). I can set up breakpoints but don't see any variable values. The best code editing so far, but still doesn't show me function and argument descriptions, etc. Though it should understand LuaDoc, so maybe I'm doing something wrong...
4. Sublime Text 3 with Love plugin. No auto-complete for my own code, no debugging whatsoever...
5. ZeroBrane Studio. The best solution so far, because auto complete and debugging works nice. Still it doesn't understand my code (ignores LuaDocs for functions, variables, etc.) and generally it looks like an IDE from the past. I can't ctrl+click on symbol to quickly move to it's definition, I can't see a list of usages for a symbol, poor code editing in general (no wonder, because professional editors have thousands of hours put into them).

I wanted to also try Atom but it's pointless because as I understand it's the same as Sublime plugin in terms of features.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)