Commercial games.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
onedaysnotice
Citizen

Commercial games.

Post by onedaysnotice »

I'm curious, what is the commercial viability of Love2D? How commercially successful have your games been that have been made on Love? The most renowned Love2D project that I've seen is Mari0, but that too wasn't a commercial game. I myself, plan to make the switch over to cocos2D or Unity or anything that develops for OUYA, once I get better at programming and making games in general. Can love2D games be sold on the mac appstore and steam? I really wish love2D games can be ported to iphone and/or android devices, aside from the web-based player that I read about not too long ago.
Last edited by onedaysnotice on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
richapple
Citizen

Re: Commercial games.

Post by richapple »

I believe yes, as LÖVE is licensed under ZLIB (awesome) license:
Zlib license wrote:Copyright © 2006-2010 LÖVE Development Team

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:
  1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
  2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
  3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
As the LÖVE-android project says, it is currently a license mess so right now LÖVE-android apps cannot be published yet
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Yes, you can definitely sell games made with Love2D. I don't know whether you could sell them on Steam or the Mac App Store as I don't know their exact rules, but I see no reason why you couldn't.

bartbes and somebody else (I can't remember his name :( ) made a game and sold it on the Ubuntu store for a few dollars.
richapple
Citizen

Post by richapple »

BlackBulletIV wrote:bartbes and somebody else (I can't remember his name :( ) made a game and sold it on the Ubuntu store for a few dollars.
Nevon! The game is called Volley brawl and costs 2.99$ here and here
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

BlackBulletIV wrote:Yes, you can definitely sell games made with Love2D. I don't know whether you could sell them on Steam or the Mac App Store as I don't know their exact rules, but I see no reason why you couldn't.
Strangely even for Apple rules standards I think there isn't anything against sold LOVE kind of things in Apple Store. Maybe only thing to care about is if
Open source software licensed only under the GPL (because the App Store Terms of Service imposes additional restrictions incompatible with the GPL)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

As long as the game itself isn't licensed GPL, that's not a problem.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

BlackBulletIV wrote:Yes, you can definitely sell games made with Love2D. I don't know whether you could sell them on Steam or the Mac App Store as I don't know their exact rules, but I see no reason why you couldn't.

bartbes and somebody else (I can't remember his name :( ) made a game and sold it on the Ubuntu store for a few dollars.
Mac App Store apps would need to be signed. Is Löve signed on OS X yet?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:Mac App Store apps would need to be signed. Is Löve signed on OS X yet?
Not sure of what signature you talking about. If you aren't talking app developers be signed on (as happen with iOS apps) you must perhaps be talking that Mountain Lion Apps will start to need some digital signature?. Because I think in Snow Leopard/Lion didn't need that. I checked Mac Store Review Conditions I didn't found something related with some digital signature.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/appl ... photoshop/
http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadget/ ... review.pdf

Found the Mountain Lion new signature stuff
http://davemartorana.com/logs/software/ ... evelopers/
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/os- ... y-default/
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yes, Mountain Lion doesn't REQUIRE it, but it is recommended since there are three options.

Only allow App Store apps
Allow App Store apps and signed apps downloaded from anywhere (DEFAULT)
Allow any apps at all

Not everyone will have, or know that the third option exists so you might get people complaining. Though oddly, I'm on Mountain Lion right now and haven't had any complaints and mine's set to the second option. Weird. Maybe it only disallows unmarked apps. i.e. apps that you haven't run yet. Basically on OS X when you run an app the first time OS X says "This is an application downloaded from the internet, do you want to continue?" which is a safety to keep malware from sneaking onto your system. Once you say yes, it marks it as okay. So I guess ML only checks when that flag is not turned off yet which would explain why I can still run all my old apps even though I shouldn't be able to. Because they've all been marked as okay already.

I haven't tested it yet by downloading a new copy or new unsigned app yet.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:I'm on Mountain Lion right now and haven't had any complaints and mine's set to the second option. Weird. Maybe it only disallows unmarked apps. i.e. apps that you haven't run yet. Basically on OS X when you run an app the first time OS X says "This is an application downloaded from the internet, do you want to continue?" which is a safety to keep malware from sneaking onto your system. Once you say yes, it marks it as okay. So I guess ML only checks when that flag is not turned off yet which would explain why I can still run all my old apps even though I shouldn't be able to. Because they've all been marked as okay already.

I haven't tested it yet by downloading a new copy or new unsigned app yet.
Thanks for tell us about the behave. BTW Jasoco if I can ask, are you using Mountain Lion in any older maching (+3 years old)? How it holds? Are you using the Dev Seed right?