Using SciTE with LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Re: Using SciTE with LÖVE

Post by Hexenhammer »

Hexenhammer's Preconfigured SciTE for Windows

To celebrate the release of LÖVE 0.9.0 here is a new version of my preconfigured SciTE package for Windows. Changes since last version:
- Updated to SciTE 3.3.7
- Default monospace font is now Microsoft Consolas, you must install this font if you don't have it already
- Fixed the issue with LÖVE 0.9.0 not running. In fact if you installed LÖVE in its default location (Program Files) everything should now work out of the box i.e. open "main.lua", press F5 to run
- Both color scheme variants are now stuffed into one .zip archive to simplify things

For those who have never used my version before other important differences to the stock SciTE config are:
- Monospace font by default
- More visible cursor
- Line numbers
- Edge column (to enforce < 80 characters)

Here are updated screenshots:

Ocean color scheme

Nightshade color scheme

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4brrc ... omized.zip
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Did an incredibly stupid thing - I let Malware do a complete system scan.
It bricked my computer - wouldn't boot up.
Let Windows 7 fix itself which resulted in Love9 being removed - Love folder empty?
Re-downloaded Love 0.9 and everything seemed OK.
Discovered that from SciTE, I could run Love using F5 but now can't get a console window using either love._openConsole() or by setting t.console = true in conf.lua.

If I drag&drop love directory on a short-cut to Love 0.9 the console appears.

So, something got screwed up in SciTE.

I only use a console for debugging and since using Love 0.9 I don't get any output to SciTE output window, I really would be nice to get love._openConsole() working again without having to drag&drop.

SciTE remains a black box for me so would greatly appreciate a little help.

Edit: Additional info - running Lua from SciTE via F5 does provide output to SciTE's output window. Lov 8e does also but sadly, Love 9 doesn't????
poorenglish
Prole

Post by poorenglish »

I am also worried this,THIS IS NOTHING IN THE OUTPUT WINDOW.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Ref wrote: setting t.console = true in conf.lua.
This worked for me. Do you use my customized configuration or the stock configuration? If you use the stock configuration you need to add this..
command.go.subsystem.main.lua=2
..to the end of your lua.properties file.
unning Lua from SciTE via F5 does provide output to SciTE's output window. Lov 8e does also but sadly, Love 9 doesn't????
I have never used the SciTE output window, in fact it is turned off in my config so I cannot help there.
poorenglish
Prole

Post by poorenglish »

Set command.go.subsystem.main.lua=1
the output windows will available
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Thanks to Hexenhammer & Poorenglish, I'm almost back in business.
Adding either command.go.subsystem.main.lua=1 or command.go.subsystem.main.lua=2 allows me to have a console window. :awesome:

Still don't get print output going to SciTE's output window - just error messages. Use to be able to scroll through the print output after running the Love vis F5. (Really don't know how all this stuff got messed up going to Love 0.9 )

Would like to use Hexenhammer's custom SciTE (really like how easy it is to distinguish between '.' and ',') but find the color contrast between light gray background and faint foreground unreadable on my limited laptop. (Also not setup to allow me to edit my .wlua files.)
Really need to figure out how to change the guts of SciTE. Too bad there isn't a tut.
Thank's all!
Grubby
Prole

Post by Grubby »

Well, is this the attempt to reign in the loose ScITe threads not working so well with love2d_090 on windows?

From what I can see thus far, whats said in THIS thread pretty much matches what I said here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=76703&sid=196570cd5 ... bc#p159051

Looks like no one knows why this is (or those that do are trying to punish). Not even the DEVs have chimed in. Change the guts of SciTE? Really, ya think? I get the same results with the SciTE that came with LUA for windows (1.75). Same thing with SciTe 3.37. The editor didn't change. Something in the build of love2d_090 did. In contest to 080, I never had a problem. The output from lua was always visible in the SciTE output window. Now it seems its bufferd in some way. <-- I can prove that. Don't bother to say something on my windows system changed. Love2d090 did. Revert back to 080, and things are good again. Oh yes, using SVN its easy to flip flop from one version of my simulation to another. The difference is clearly and always love2d_090.

Something is up with all this... Right?
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Hi Gruggy or is it Grumpy?

Don't despair. SciTE does work with Love 0.9 and 0.8.

I gave up on Hexenhammer's version. Too many things to change to get where I wanted to go. Terrible colors, no Love function highlighting, not usable with wlua files ...

Couldn't get SciTE version 3.37 to use version 1.75 ".properties" files. Just enough things different for me to figure out at this time.

After several hours of frustration and many missteps I got version 1.75 to use my colors, start up displaying files I was working on, permit displaying the console window when active in the Love script, and show print values in the SciTE output window.

Yes, Love 0.9 does require some changes. I really don't know why and I really just fumbled around with the properties files until they gave up and gave me what I wanted.

Have fun!
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Ref wrote:Terrible colors
I think the default colors are terrible :P I do not get how people can stare at a white background for long, hurts my eyes. Well, people are different.
, no Love function highlighting
Of course not. Stock SciTE does not have that either. I do not like highting library APIs. Highlighting becomes meaningless when too much is highlighted if you ask me.
, not usable with wlua files ...
What does that even mean? What is a wlua file and how would you "use" it? I did not change anything there.
After several hours of frustration and many missteps I got version 1.75 to use my colors, start up displaying files I was working on, permit displaying the console window when active in the Love script, and show print values in the SciTE output window.
Great, maybe you should follow my example and upload it. Seems to be what Grubby needs..
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Hexenhammer wrote: I think the default colors are terrible :P I do not get how people can stare at a white background for long, hurts my eyes. Well, people are different.
I agree. I use a black background. On my computer, for some reason, the text in your color scheme is barely readable.

FYI, wlua files are those used with straight Lua on Windows. My limited understanding of SciTE properties makes it difficult for me to add this feature to your properties files - my problem.

I'm hesitant at uploading my properties files because I really don't know what I'm doing. There a mess and might screw up other peoples systems.

I really do appreciate your input as it got me to at least to look at the SciTE properties files and got me able to work with Love 0.9.