New to LUA and LOVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: New to LUA and LOVE

Post by Robin »

Stormfury wrote:And my degree is in Network and Information Security - stupid me, I know very well that it doesnt matter which language, as long as they both support the same protocols... lol
I feel your pain... nothing worse than asking about things you already know. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Stormfury
Prole

Post by Stormfury »

Now wouldn't it be cool if you were secretly Robin van Persie o.O LOL @ him being a game programmer..

Anyways -- I commend the LOVE team for the /docs directory. I haven't even begun learning Lua or LOVE, and just taking a quick look over at the Getting Started page, and love.graphics, I already see how the LOVE engine is laid out, and I love how it explains exactly what the function does, and shows some example code to show how you would go about getting it working.

It looks EXTREMELY simple. I'm sure some things will be difficult, but so far it looks extremely friendly to the new user.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Stormfury wrote:Now wouldn't it be cool if you were secretly Robin van Persie o.O LOL @ him being a game programmer..
WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT THERE IS NO WAY I AM HIM HONESTLY WHERE DID YOU GET THAT IDEA DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT!

In other news: yay for LÖVE!

EDIT: also: I like my post count. I remember when bartbes had this.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tomtoo
Prole

Post by tomtoo »

Stormfury wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I have a book, Focus on SDL, and I am experienced with C++. Can you please make a case as to why I should learn lua and use LOVE as opposed to learning SDL to go Alongside my pre-existing knowledge of c++ and network programming. Will I be able to do create a game with possible connectivity to a c++ server?
First: Hi to the löve community :) ! Couse i'am a newbie to löve.

So if i would be experiend in c++ , sockets , sdl, box2d and some other libs, i would see no reason why not to do it by my own.

Ok , maybe couse i am in a bad mood and to lazy to type so much at this day , but thats the only reason.

Many Greetings
Thomas
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Lua and the community, else, just go do it yourself, nobody will stop you.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

I hate to be a meanie but Lua isn't an acronym -- it's just "Lua".
little hacksaw
Prole

Post by little hacksaw »

Stormfury wrote: Is there a "be all, end all" tutorial site for LUA?
I've often found http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaTutorial very helpful (and all its child pages) :megagrin:
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

I just started yesterday with the hamsterball example, viewed the source and started programming my own game. No tutorials. :) This engine is great!