Experience

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Merkoth
Party member

Re: Experience

Post by Merkoth »

^^^^^^^^^^^ <- page breaks are teh suxxors
Epic post is epic n_n
MrPickle wrote:Been coding for 2-3 years (I'm only 14), started off with a language called TorqueScript modding a game called Blockland, the community were horrible so I decided to pursue C++, got into it, then tests and stuff came along and I just didn't have time, then I started playing games and I sort of forgot everything then got bored, sat in a corner waiting for something to entertain me then I found Love and now, here I am.
I'm 22, and I'm currently learning TorqueScript, lawl.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Hello triplefox, epic read indeed :3
triplefox wrote:The only checkbox feature I don't see, for the project I'm doing, is physics, but reading a little bit I see that is planned to come in soon.
Ah yes, in development as we speak. (http://tehlol.com/temp/physics.avi)
triplefox wrote:audio sync/precision-timing support
Some of the best games evahr rely on this and I would love to have it. But for now, we have to limit ourselves to the features provided by SDL_mixer.
mastastealth
Prole

Post by mastastealth »

Well, my first ever programming experience was back in a program called Game Maker, which has it's own pseudo-C-ish languagle called GML. It was the first "language" I actually learned. (I had used Click-n-Play and Multimedia Fusion before, but with the easy mdoe stuff! ;)) Then I learned Python from a book and worked on a few scripts, made an incomplete text-based dominoes game. Tried learning C for NDS homebrewing but really never got the hang of all that. Then playing a game called Spring I decided to take a shot at writing some "widgets" which are written in Lua. Lua was very easy to get used to since it's a lot like Python. Since I had previously tried Pygame being a little daunted by how much code was necessary just to get a window working (relatively speaking, I'm sure other languages are a lot harder, but I still expected something easier) I decided to look for a gaming library for Lua, and here I am! :D
MrPickle
Prole

Post by MrPickle »

Merkoth wrote:I'm 22, and I'm currently learning TorqueScript, lawl.
I can always help you if you need some help.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

MrPickle wrote:
Merkoth wrote:I'm 22, and I'm currently learning TorqueScript, lawl.
I can always help you if you need some help.
My boss already gave me two huge books on the topic, but thank you ;)
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

I'm a tad older than the rest of you (but still not over 30), and I've been programming since I was about... uh... 15... ish. Yeah.

Started off with HyperCard at home while I was learning Apple ][ BASIC at school. Which was hopelessly outdated even then. Learned a little QuickBasic, but wasn't fond of it. Got to play with GWBASIC, again, couldn't do much with it. HyperCard I managed to make a few things here and there but nothing really impressive. A friend of mine got me into something called CrossBasic, which was bought out by FYI Software and name FYI Basic, which then was renamed RealBasic and the company completely rebranded themselves and shifted away from making a programming environment that could do anything (including games) to a programming environment suited more for rapid application of business applications and rapid prototyping. Regardless, I still have a copy of REALbasic on my Ubuntu machine, because it's free to use and I sometimes need to come up with something that I just can't find elsewhere.

Somewhere in all that I learned C and C++ and even wrote a couple of demo apps for The GameBoy Advance using the HAM DevKit. Nothing much came from this, either.

I've mostly dabbled since then. I've learned PHP, some Python, some Lua, some Ruby, several variants of BASIC, some Java, some JavaScript, some ActionScript 2.0, and several others I can't remember. What has this built up to? I can read just about any freakin' code that comes my way. But I can hardly do anything with any environment. Basically my dream application, right now, is HyperCard. But I've seen merit to Love, if only I can get to learning it. I find that I don't do well with tutorials. I need an active community I can feel comfortable asking blaringly stupid/obvious questions to to figure out what simple thing I did to screw up.

My current project checklist is:

Can do 2D graphics
Can port easily to other platforms
Can port easily to other people with Ubuntu

Basically, uh, I want people to be able to install Love on a basic install of Ubuntu without anything but the most recent updates installed and have it work. No muss, no fuss, no mysterious apt-get commands or need to package into a .deb file for easy distribution. So, yeah. Love seems to meet my needs, I think. I'll see.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke