What IDE are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
qaisjp
Party member

Re: What IDE are you using?

Post by qaisjp »

luaz wrote:
qaisjp wrote:luaz: create the IDE yourself - you aren't going to find a fully working latest-version IDE FOR ANY LUA-BASED-FRAMEWORK UNLESS IT IS FROM SOME HOTSHOT COMPANY SELLING THEIR IDE. Stop expecting Visual Studio IDE's - make it yourself.
That was funny. :awesome:

Do you hate big companies?
nah i love valve
my main point is that you need to be realistic if you want to find visual-studio standard IDE's for lua frameworks.
Lua is not an acronym.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

qaisjp wrote:
luaz wrote:
qaisjp wrote:luaz: create the IDE yourself - you aren't going to find a fully working latest-version IDE FOR ANY LUA-BASED-FRAMEWORK UNLESS IT IS FROM SOME HOTSHOT COMPANY SELLING THEIR IDE. Stop expecting Visual Studio IDE's - make it yourself.
That was funny. :awesome:

Do you hate big companies?
nah i love valve
my main point is that you need to be realistic if you want to find visual-studio standard IDE's for lua frameworks.
Except Valve - Microsoft? :huh: People love Valve too much.

Well, that's what I want and I'm not going to create one myself. If there is no such thing, then there is no such thing, and I'm gonna use the best alternative that's available. Probably available for free. :halloween:
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

luaz wrote: Except Valve - Microsoft? :huh: People love Valve too much.

Well, that's what I want and I'm not going to create one myself. If there is no such thing, then there is no such thing, and I'm gonna use the best alternative that's available. Probably available for free. :halloween:
Take SCITE or NP++
I use NP++

for mac use gedit, nano or TextWrangler

i love valve, microsoft broke windows with win8
Lua is not an acronym.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

qaisjp wrote:
luaz wrote: Except Valve - Microsoft? :huh: People love Valve too much.

Take SCITE or NP++
I use NP++

for mac use gedit, nano or TextWrangler

i love valve, microsoft broke windows with win8
It didn't. You can mod it if you don't like the sleek menu. ;)
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

This thread is going way off topic ...
luaz wrote:As far as I know, they still don't offer auto-completion.
Auto-Completion is something I find annoying and frustrating and avoid (check out eclipse, and geany for that), still doesn't make the tool better. Again, it doesn't make it worse, this is my opinion.
luaz wrote:99% of the fancy software is better than non-fancy. ;) Why do you like less-advanced software so much better?
If you knew the extent of the software repositories in linux, you really wouldn't be saying, "less-advanced software", and that number (99%) would be very different. This is a linux vs windows battle though, and really isn't on topic.
pk wrote:Going a bit off topic here, but maybe people don't know that Photoshop is affordable for mere mortals now, at least here in the U.S. I'm renting Photoshop CS 6 for $20 USD a month. :cool:
This is actually pretty awesome, it's not an "elements" version of some sort, is it? Also, to be fair, that's 240$ more a year than I want to spend. Does make for easy upgrading though for professionals that need it!
luaz wrote:I hate the interface, and I dislike the fact that even it's supposed to be lightweight, it really isn't. I'm not sure about the lightweight part though, because I've tried it a long time ago. However, I looked at the screenshots, and I still hate the interface. A lot.
And this is fine, you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't say stuff about other software without the proper research.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

josefnpat wrote:And this is fine, you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't say stuff about other software without the proper research.
I've done a fair amount of research. Of course not for all software, but you won't find a better, or at least as good as those are, alternative for Visual Studio, Office (though I have no use for it) and Adobe software. Also software like Skype has isn't as developed on Linux (last time I checked), no MSN (which is a popular messenger), no Steam (although it's in-development), and I could name a lot more software that either isn't available, is underdeveloped compared to Windows version, or is offered a poor alternative to.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

luaz wrote: I've done a fair amount of research. Of course not for all software, but you won't find a better, or at least as good as those are, alternative for Visual Studio, Office (though I have no use for it) and Adobe software. Also software like Skype has isn't as developed on Linux (last time I checked), no MSN (which is a popular messenger), no Steam (although it's in-development), and I could name a lot more software that either isn't available, is underdeveloped compared to Windows version, or is offered a poor alternative to.
It's the lack of apt-get what makes it automatically not worth it for me as a dev OS. Windows upgrade system is basically not-a-system: you do it all manually, unless your program comes with self-updates. I only use it for games, and that because Steam takes care of the upgrades for me.

Apparently they will try to address that with Win8 and their "App Store" (whatever it's called) but I'm pretty sure they'll manage to screw that up. For it to be meaningful to developers it would have to have an openness Microsoft has never been able to cope with.

I didn't know MSN still existed. I do all my messaging via the gmail embedded gtalk window thingie.

Now that I think of it, all my dev tools are cross platform, so I guess I could use windows. It's just that keeping everything updated on windows is a PITA. On ubuntu, and (less so) on mac, I can update everything I have - operative system, drivers, programs, etc - with a single command. That's bliss, man. I take that over autocompletion any day.
When I write def I mean function.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

luaz wrote: I've done a fair amount of research. Of course not for all software, but you won't find a better, or at least as good as those are, alternative for Visual Studio, Office (though I have no use for it) and Adobe software. Also software like Skype has isn't as developed on Linux (last time I checked), no MSN (which is a popular messenger), no Steam (although it's in-development), and I could name a lot more software that either isn't available, is underdeveloped compared to Windows version, or is offered a poor alternative to.
In my opinion visual studio is a terrible piece of software, so I shall refrain from calling things "up to par".
With regard to office, that might be the case, but also largely because of office itself, with its rediculous filetypes and its now traditional presence. I should note that I rarely use an office suite to begin with.
Skype, doesn't that like, run on linux? (Yes it does.)
MSN, see below, pidgin, empathy, emesene, tons of stuff.

Also, I'd like to note that You're Doing It Wrong if you're looking for programs to replace other programs, you might as well reskin windows if you want something different then. You only really change os if you work differently. That is, if you need a program with one button, and one with two doesn't suffice, whose fault is that?
kikito wrote:I didn't know MSN still existed. I do all my messaging via the gmail embedded gtalk window thingie.
Or you could use one of the many im clients, pidgin and empathy are the big ones, I believe.
kikito wrote:I take that over autocompletion any day.
Not to mention you can have autocompletion as well.

Now that's out of the way, topics like these have existed a couple of times, never with good results. You're asking for preference, and it usually devolves into a discussion about other preferences (you know how it goes on the internet).
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Underlying message: you're asking the wrong questions, in the wrong place. The question itself is broken; you don't need (and I bet in most cases you can use the word "want" here too) an 'IDE'. You want a text editor. That is all you need to work with löve and lua, I think I'm right in thinking that nearly all desktop OS' come with one.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

kikito wrote:It's the lack of apt-get what makes it automatically not worth it for me as a dev OS. Windows upgrade system is basically not-a-system: you do it all manually, unless your program comes with self-updates. I only use it for games, and that because Steam takes care of the upgrades for me.

Now that I think of it, all my dev tools are cross platform, so I guess I could use windows. It's just that keeping everything updated on windows is a PITA. On ubuntu, and (less so) on mac, I can update everything I have - operative system, drivers, programs, etc - with a single command. That's bliss, man. I take that over autocompletion any day.
I don't mind software checking for updates on startup, I don't see how that's a problem. Any good piece of software has that functionality nowadays...
bartbes wrote:In my opinion visual studio is a terrible piece of software, so I shall refrain from calling things "up to par".
With regard to office, that might be the case, but also largely because of office itself, with its rediculous filetypes and its now traditional presence. I should note that I rarely use an office suite to begin with.
Skype, doesn't that like, run on linux? (Yes it does.)
MSN, see below, pidgin, empathy, emesene, tons of stuff.
I wonder why you dislike Visual Studio...

Regardless of if you use it or not (as I said, I don't either), it's much better than OpenOffice, or any other office suite.

As for Skype - I said it's not as developed, not non-existant. You shouldn't skip things when replying to a post. ;)

I agree that there are alternatives to MSN (Skype?), however there are people who stick to it, and if they are people you work with (or for), you gotta use it. The "multi-client" messengers lack the functionality that a program build for it has to offer.
Lafolie wrote:Underlying message: you're asking the wrong questions, in the wrong place. The question itself is broken; you don't need (and I bet in most cases you can use the word "want" here too) an 'IDE'. You want a text editor. That is all you need to work with löve and lua, I think I'm right in thinking that nearly all desktop OS' come with one.
Why stop there? You don't need anything but food, water and air to survive. ;) If there's better, why not use it?