What IDE are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
minism
Prole

Re: What IDE are you using?

Post by minism »

So far in my programming experience and career, it seems that if you are working in a static language it is generally a good idea to use an IDE to reap the benefits, even if it isnt your favorite text editor. If you finish the functionality of an application in less time because of an IDE, you should use it.

Dynamic languages on the other hand always feel uncomfortable with an IDE, and I generally prefer simple text editors. Something like sublimetext2 is perfect for lua & python with me because its vim with a few key functions that are extremely useful.

Also @vrld great post about unix-as-IDE.
XeltEnton
Prole

Post by XeltEnton »

I use Sublime. partially because I use it for all my other python/ruby/c coding. partially because I love goto anything and its fuzzy matching. and partially because I can build and run my .love file in one click(well actually two clicks ctrl+B) with it's build system.

yay Sublime!!!
Saegor
Party member

Post by Saegor »

I tried nano (with color support) and gedit and they were cools. I also tried (once again) vim but i can't remeber all the shortcuts to take all benefits from this wonderfull editor. Geany is the best solution i found. I can launch the löve project i'm working on with a simple button.
Current work : Isömap
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Sublime Text 2. Kinda moved, since it looks slick :3
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
YeOleBluegrass
Prole

Post by YeOleBluegrass »

substitute541 wrote:Sublime Text 2. Kinda moved, since it looks slick :3
Same here, Sublime Text 2 is easy to use and smooth (that's why I use it!)
Good work getting this far, future starter! That said, if you are simple-minded, old, or irradiated in such a way that the future should not start with you, please return to your primitive tribe and send back someone better-qualified for testing.
Dattorz
Citizen

Post by Dattorz »

My setup is a text editor/file manager/terminal emulator triple-play. Specifically, I use Kate, Dolphin, and Konsole, the standard KDE programs for this task. I tile the windows so Kate takes up half of my screen while Dolphin and Konsole use the other half.