What IDE are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: What IDE are you using?

Post by Robin »

luaz wrote:Not guilt - annoy. Why would you feel guilty about using software which was provided for free by the author?
Here's an example:
Author: "Hello, user of my software. You are using it for free, which is fine, but I'll starve if you don't give me money. It's fine, though. Not starving would be nice, but I'm not mad at your for not giving me money."
User: *feels guilty*
Help us help you: attach a .love.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

Robin wrote:
luaz wrote:Not guilt - annoy. Why would you feel guilty about using software which was provided for free by the author?
Here's an example:
Author: "Hello, user of my software. You are using it for free, which is fine, but I'll starve if you don't give me money. It's fine, though. Not starving would be nice, but I'm not mad at your for not giving me money."
User: *feels guilty*
That's manipulation. If the author wants money for his software, he should sell it and not distribute it for free. Otherwise, the user shouldn't be manipulated to buy his software.
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

I use ZeroBrane Studio IDE not just for playing with Love2d, but for all my Lua development (including the development of the IDE itself), although I'm clearly biased here.

It's not as polished as ST2 in terms of search/navigation/styles, but it does run on Windows/OSX/Linux and provides integrated debugger, remote console, stack and watch views, love2d/lua auto-complete, and live coding.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

paulclinger wrote:I use ZeroBrane Studio IDE not just for playing with Love2d, but for all my Lua development (including the development of the IDE itself), although I'm clearly biased here.

It's not as polished as ST2 in terms of search/navigation/styles, but it does run on Windows/OSX/Linux and provides integrated debugger, remote console, stack and watch views, love2d/lua auto-complete, and live coding.
That looks pretty nice! I'm in love with Sublime though, it's a great editor. Some people may find it having too many functions, but I'm loving it. ;)
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
AntonioModer
Party member

Post by AntonioModer »

paulclinger, thank you for ZeroBrane Studio IDE.
It is awesome. But this IDE don't read the lua files with russian letters.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

AntonioModer wrote:paulclinger, thank you for ZeroBrane Studio IDE.
It should, as long as it's in Unicode. I tested it myself: http://studio.zerobrane.com/images/unicode-console.png

Paul.
AntonioModer
Party member

Post by AntonioModer »

paulclinger wrote:
AntonioModer wrote:paulclinger, thank you for ZeroBrane Studio IDE.
It should, as long as it's in Unicode. I tested it myself: http://studio.zerobrane.com/images/unicode-console.png

Paul.
You're right, thank you.
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

Well, I tried sublime text thinking: "I'll try it, but no way is it going to be better then notepad++." 15 mins later:
New Google plus status: "Sublime text is so awesome!" :awesome:

But seriously, sublime text is *AMAZING*. I suggest if you haven't tried it out, you do now, otherwise, you're missing something awesome.
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Nsmurf wrote:Well, I tried sublime text thinking: "I'll try it, but no way is it going to be better then notepad++." 15 mins later:
New Google plus status: "Sublime text is so awesome!" :awesome:
But seriously, sublime text is *AMAZING*. I suggest if you haven't tried it out, you do now, otherwise, you're missing something awesome.
Really ?
Convince me, what specific features have you experienced that you never had with Notepad++ ?
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Convince me, what specific features have you experienced that you never had with Notepad++ ?
  • Auto indenting. This is a big deal for me.
  • Goto anything. In the small project i was testing it on, this isn't such a big deal, but for larger projects it's great!
  • Rename multiple variables at the same time.
  • Projects. They save all the files you were working on, where you were in those files, unsaved changes, ect.
  • Batch edits. This is something i wouldn't use often, but it would be very useful sometimes.
  • Lots of plugins.
  • Cross platform.
  • F7 runs the current project in *any* way you specify.
  • Snippets. Save code templates for later reuse.
  • Open entire folders, instead of just files.
  • Auto complete for parentheses, brackets, ect.
  • Looks way nicer then np++
And that's why I switched to sublime text.

EDIT: Haven't gotten a chance to us this yet, but it has autocomplete
Last edited by Nsmurf on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=