Lua 5.2 (work snapshot)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Star Crunch
Prole

Lua 5.2 (work snapshot)

Post by Star Crunch »

Lua 5.2.0 (work)

This could be a while off still (there's some outcry over the environment stuff and
built-in bit library, for instance), but here's a heads-up so you can take a look.

It doesn't look too drastic, but I'm curious to know if this would mean an update
(assuming all libraries were brought up to date) or sticking it out with 5.1 for a
while for stability.

I know I'll upgrade my libraries for work (I've been waiting for ephemeron tables),
but it's still handy to prototype in Löve. Thus, if the answer is wait, a question about
maintaining my own build: I noticed when looking through the program source that
there are a couple bytecode files, which then stand a good chance of being broken in
5.2. Was the (pre-compiled) source for those available and I just missed them?
bmelts
Party member

Re: Lua 5.2 (work snapshot)

Post by bmelts »

Oh good, they integrated a bitlib. That'll be quite useful.

I can't speak for rude, obviously, but I personally wouldn't want to update to 5.2 until it was officially released. It's good that an initial snapshot is out there for testing, but it seems like it'd be a better idea to stick with the most current stable version, rather than relying on an unstable build.

The bytecode files you're referring to are generated from .lua source; for some mysterious autotools-related reason, those aren't included in the source tarball. They are in the hg repo, though (src/scripts/boot.lua and graphics.lua), and can be taken from there or downloaded from the Sourceforge web viewer (find the files and click their "raw" link). If they'll be broken in 5.2, though, that's another good reason to not update yet.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

And, we can't just release a deb package where we say you need liblua5.2 if that isn't in the repo's yet, so we're going to have to wait for that too.
Star Crunch
Prole

Post by Star Crunch »

Cool, good to know.

And yeah, though I wasn't specific about it, my question was in the context of once this has become official. (Likewise
with my own integration.)