WiiLÖVE?!?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Sardtok
Party member

WiiLÖVE?!?

Post by Sardtok »

I was just looking over the dev-tools for the Wii, and noticed Lua has been ported, SDL has been ported and there's an OGL wrapper.
What other libraries would need porting to make you Löve the Wii? An OpenAL wrapper at least.
The biggest problem I guess is that there's no windowing, and the resolution is 480i or 480p, so it's a bit limited.
I was just thinking it could be a fun port.

If next to 漢語 I have some time to do stuff and such, I might be interested in working of something like that. I'm taking a crapload of credits this year so I might simply end up being as busy as a p00psmith.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
mike
Administrator

Re: WiiLÖVE?!?

Post by mike »

That sounds epic. I would LÖVE to see it on the Wii (or any other platform, for that matter).
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

Honestly I had been thinking about LoveDS and LovePSP myself. But I'd only love it if they were able to be done legitimately, not as homebrew hacks. It's just my thing (I hate possibly bricking my hardware).
amnesiasoft
Prole

Post by amnesiasoft »

Xfcn wrote:I hate possibly bricking my hardware.
Steal a friends, and possibly brick their handheld instead!

On a more serious note, it'd be kind of cool to see it done on an Xbox seeing as how we have XnaLua, and I know one of the Google Summer of Code projects was porting SDL to the 360 by using XNA.
Last edited by amnesiasoft on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Yeah, that could be done.

The only other library that need "porting" (i.e. uses system specific code) would be PhysFS. Everything else should be fine on a standard C++ compiler.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

Xfcn wrote:Honestly I had been thinking about LoveDS and LovePSP myself. But I'd only love it if they were able to be done legitimately, not as homebrew hacks. It's just my thing (I hate possibly bricking my hardware).
I've also been thinking about a DS port, and believe me, there's no way on earth you can brick your DS by trying to port LÖVE. In fact, the only way you could end up with a bricked DS would be using a nasty hack which hasn't been necessary for the last two years or so.

I'm not really sure if porting LÖVE to the DS is such a good idea. Given the way LÖVE works, the small RAM capacity (4 megs) would certainly limit what you can do, and most games would require some kind of "porting" (even if that doesn't require rewriting code). LÖVE is currently a bit RAM-happy, and we don't have much control about all the graphics, sounds and stuff we store in memory. And the complete lack of palletized graphics support doesn't make things any easier. The sources would also require some surgery, stuff like boost libs are pretty handy but completely inadequate for low-resource devices. I'm pretty sure the DS would run out of stack memory in no time :P

The PSP looks most certainly like better suited platform for the task, that's for sure...
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

I have both and I find the PSP superior on every front. Except for the availability of Zelda. And I beat Zelda Phantom Hour Glass, so now my DS has no purpose. But I keep it around anyway.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Jake
Prole

Post by Jake »

I have a homebrew PSP, there is a Lua Player for that but it'd pretty slow. I guess that's because of the processor. For example, it couldn't handle drawing 16x16 tiles. Lots of FPS lag.

Edit: I lie, I just tried it out again and it's not as bad as I remember it.
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

I never could understand LuaPlayer's instructions for installation. It seemed like I needed firmware version 1.5 or something. I want to use version 4.05...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Jake
Prole

Post by Jake »

I think that's the kernel version. It has either 1 or 1.5. I use Software version 3.71 M33-3 and it works all well. Anyway you're better off checking in a homebrew forum, I don't know dick about PSPs to be honest.