Making LÖVE together!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Which gameplay elements are most important in RPG for you? (pick 3)

balance
8%
economy
6%
exploration
21%
fights
10%
NPC interaction
12%
puzzles
5%
realism
1%
story
19%
world interactions
18%

Total votes: 164

napco
Party member

Making LÖVE together!

Post by napco »

Why don't we set up a team and make a game using LOVE? We could split up the work and maybe make a great game! What do you think? My idea would be a FF6-like RPG, with original graphics (made by us), a battle system, menu etc...
Last edited by napco on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
giniu
Party member

Re: Why don't we...

Post by giniu »

I like the idea - I'd vote to create github project for it under name LovelyRPG for example and start writing documentation in say docbook, it's good to start early - it's easier to make people join when they see that even if there one man, something is happening ;)... And good demo for Love would be huge pro for community size I guess :)... I can tell you I'm in for 100%, not too much for coding or art, but for sure for the design stage - let's say I could be for 75% in design and 25% in code team. Who's next? ;) Oh, and when is the first irc (or maybe Google Wave) meeting? 8-)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

I could do coding and art, since I'm pretty good at both ;)
Think it sounds like a great idea!
beatthelastboss
Citizen

Post by beatthelastboss »

I'll give it a shot! So, what kinda RPG are we talking about, final fantasy clone perhaps?
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LUA CODES IN YOU!!
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

napco proposed FF6-like, I'd say if we are in this type of games we should aim for faster fights while still with some tactics - also show enemies on map to give a chance to avoid them. If we are at maps, say city view - are we making discrete splits into quads or we move the character on fully drawn backgrounds? Here we are starting at genre, so we still need to decide key gameplay, setting and story.

Napco - maybe you should create poll for say setting? Will it be fantasy, sf, post apoc, history, modern, etc - I think setting is next most important thing to decide if we are starting from genre, then we should go to key gameplay elements (turn based, real time, mixed, views, etc) :) So if we all are going to work on it, let the team decide ;)

--edit:
hmm... this topic needs better name, doesn't it? Maybe "Lets make love together, gathering a team for lovely game"? I'm not sure, but something that will bring more people in for sure would be nice :)
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

Well, yes... We could make a poll and change topic title. (@giniu: Your idea of "making love together is... lovely!) For the map engine i suggest a tile-based structure (32x32 tiles, or zoomed 16x16)... We could put the game inside a steam-punk atmosphere, with engines, magic, a bit of science and, of course, steam... For the battle system i've thought an ATB (active time battle) with ff12-like gambits to "program" allies outside battles and let them fight without having to control them. I can help with the coding stuff, but i'm not familiar with the 0.6.0 quads.

Let me know your ideas ^^

For the main roles, we have:

-Coding (me, kalle, giniu)
-Map engine (here i have a bit of experience)
-Basic classes (windows, messages, font etc...) (here too...)
-Menu (never tried with love, but i've made a lot of menus using RPGMaker)
-Battle System (same thing as the menu)
-Graphics (dandruff, kalle?)
-Map editor/Database editor (me)
-Map designer (using the map editor ^^) (?)
-Storyboarder (?)
-Somebody that can explain me Quads!

If you've decided to help, let me know the role you've chosen and i'll update the post! ah, let me know also if you can find out other roles!
Last edited by napco on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

To make things straight, no graphics for me :) Definitely not, for this projects own sake :D I'd rather sign up for gameplay design rather than graphics design :) It happens that I'm in process of writing short book about design&prototyping, so this can be best place for me (as offtopic that was reason I ended here found love2d.org website while looking for something good to recommend for prototypes, and that's mostly why I started to learn love, sounded a lot better than pygame and I wasn't mistaken - but we all know this :), so to the point...).

About setting, I think it can produce a lot of potential, but about fights I would recommend designing something else - first because ATB, CTB, and similar are patented and registered, second because I don't think only we can do is another FF-clone :) About gambits, I think they were overkill, too much details to easily master - I think something simple like NPC setup without too much detailed rules would also do, give similar results and still more fun. If you are willing to risk, I can come up with something I hope nice when setting will be 100% decided :) But I prefer to work in repository from first lines of docs, so... you prefer git or mercurial for versioning system?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

My thoughts:
napco wrote:Why don't we set up a team and make a game using LOVE? We could split up the work and maybe make a great game! What do you think?
"Hey, that sounds pretty cool. Even if I don't become a full member of the project, I could still lend a hand with concepts, code, graphics, maybe even some soundwork if they don't have anyone else..."
napco wrote: My idea would be a FF6-like RPG
"Oh, pfffft, forget that, then."

Sorry, but I can't stand JRPGs. But spare you all that rant.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Taehl wrote:Sorry, but I can't stand JRPGs. But spare you all that rant.
well, I hope for fresh design so don't judge too early, for now genre and setting is set, and that manner you can think also for example about Arcanum if you want, also steam-punk rpg and far from jrpg. But napco will decide for this project, as he came with the idea :)
napco
Party member

Re: Making LÖVE together!

Post by napco »

Whoops... In the "role assignment post" i've put giniu instead of kalle under the "graphics" section... Updated it and also the topic title! Let me know if you like your role!

I agree with giniu's idea... Maybe i'm a little conservative. So, let's revolutionize everything! (yay!!!) By the way, i'm quite new to the "world of game programming", so i don't know what git and mercurial are... If they're something like google code then i think it wouldn't be a bad idea to post our code there, but i prefer a forum topic to talk about the status of the project and to share our ideas...

Anybody wants to be the storyboarder? ^^