object.z or object.drawOrder?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Draw order property name

Poll ended at Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:24 pm

z. Let the ones doing 3D stuff call their variables otherwise.
No votes
drawOrder. Obvious is good.
80%
zIndex, like CSS
20%
other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 5

kikito
Inner party member

object.z or object.drawOrder?

Post by kikito »

I'm modelling drawing orders in PÄSSION now.

I need to define the property that manages the drawing order.

I was going to call it z, but then I realized that people might want to use it for 3d-ish stuff. And in 3d, z doesn't define the drawing order (it depends on the viewer's position & orientation)

Then I thought about drawOrder. It is obvious (I like that) but somehow I'm not completely satisfied with it.

The CSS property for ordering stuff is called zIndex. Maybe I should use that one.

Which name do you prefer?
Last edited by kikito on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write def I mean function.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: object.z or object.drawOrder?

Post by kikito »

So drawOrder it is. Still think the name isn't elegant enough, but mathematically it was the best candidate I had.

PÄSSION now is able to sort actors by drawingOrder (or by anything else, really. It is now very flexible in the order in which the actors are processed)

Closing poll.
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Not a vote but some arguments... I would personally prefer "z" because many find it synonymous with "drawOrder" but you can do more with "z" than what is acceptable to call "drawOrder".

More specifically, you can specify a vector for mapping (x,y,z) to (x,y,drawOrder). A GUI, where z only affects drawOrder, merely uses the vector (0,0,1). An orthogonal tile-based game would have things like (0,1,1) and "isometric games" could be (0.5, 0.5, 1) and other alternatives. This gives a lot of power and nice effects with little hassle. It is also essentially mandatory if you want the system to be used for tile-based games and I do not see why such simple yet standard functionality should be left out. Calling a term that does this for "drawOrder" is horrendous - drawOrder is the result! You could obviously have a reader for drawOrder though as well as the option to override (offset?) the computed value.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi osuf,

I've called the property drawOrder, but the engine uses a getter/setter for it. If you subclass from Actor you can override getDrawOrder() and do whatever you want. I'm actually doing that already, on the gui.

As a rule of thumb, Actor only uses getters/setters, so everything can be redefined.
you can specify a vector for mapping (x,y,z) to (x,y,drawOrder)
I'm not very good at math and these trigonometry details tend to escape me. It sounds intriguing, but sorry I don't understand you :).

I just knew that it felt "wrong" coupling the z coordinate with the drawing order; if you have a moving "camera" the things that are closest to it have to be drawn before, even when it's "looking down"... so I though - ok, this requires decoupling.
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Hmm, yes, I admit you are right. drawOrder should appear higher in the hierarchy with it overloaded on a lower level to facilitate drawing of in-world objects. My comments were more aimed at the Actor level - where having to deal with mapping x,y,z is so common place that I think, with most of the functionality, it could be there by default. It does not really hurt anything since you can set the base vectors to use z as drawOrder and ignore everything else.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection for the linalg.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.