February Themed Project Event: Löve in all the Wrong Places

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
interstellarDAVE
Prole

February Themed Project Event: Löve in all the Wrong Places

Post by interstellarDAVE »

Themed Project Event #1
February 2013 (1-28th)

Theme:
Löve in all the Wrong Places

Rules:
(1) Programming work can only take place between Feb 1 00:00 GMT to March 1 00:00 GMT
(2) All libraries or pre-written code should be readily available to everyone
(3) The project must somehow represent / interpret the theme
(4) You are allowed to look at other entries for guidance, but you cannot use other participant's source without their express approval during the event.
(5) The scope is a complete game, so sound effects, music, as well as gameplay.

Considers:
(1) Create a git and share the code while working on the project.
(2) Share progress reports, showing off cool features or problems you encounter.

Prizes:
1st Place - a pat on the back
2nd, ..., Last Place - nothing

You are free to brainstorm, think about structure and sketch out ideas, but please don't start coding until the 1st.

Questions or comments should go here, progress and entries should go in the Project and Demos section. Consider titling the post [TPE1] "name of the game"
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: February Themed Project Event: Löve in all the Wrong Pla

Post by Nixola »

When this jam ends, I want you to buy a plane ticket and actually go visit the winner and pat his back
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
mickeyjm
Party member

Re: February Themvent: Löve in all the Wrong Plaed Project E

Post by mickeyjm »

Nixola wrote:When this jam ends, I want you to buy a plane ticket and actually go visit the winner and pat his back
That would be hilarious :rofl:
Your screen is very zoomed in...
BulbaMander
Citizen

Post by BulbaMander »

I actually have an idea I've been saving specifically for the purpose of using that idea in the next competition I find. It's a game based off the idea in a manga i read called Sankarea (its great) called confused eating. That's when a zombie loves a human, and they want to show affection for that human, so they bite/eat them. They cant tell that they are killing them and not showing that they love them, hence the term confused eater. Unlucky for you, you are a very attractive blue circle, in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. :P
It takes an idiot to do cool things. Thats why they're cool. :emo:
Codex
Party member

Post by Codex »

BulbaMander wrote:I actually have an idea I've been saving specifically for the purpose of using that idea in the next competition I find. It's a game based off the idea in a manga i read called Sankarea (its great) called confused eating. That's when a zombie loves a human, and they want to show affection for that human, so they bite/eat them. They cant tell that they are killing them and not showing that they love them, hence the term confused eater. Unlucky for you, you are a very attractive blue circle, in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. :P
:?

I will wait and see what you come up with because that description just went over my head. Zombies already eat people, right? How is what you're saying any different?
pakoskyfrog
Citizen

Post by pakoskyfrog »

Hi !

I'm new in the forum, and I'm new to gitHub ! Nevertheless i'll try the TPE1 challenge ! \o/

I already have an idea and started to code it.
Here is the git link https://github.com/pakoskyfrog/HexaSweeper

I've explain the game in the README, it's a sweepers-like in an hexagonal grid.
The link with the theme is "Hey, don't click in the wrong place !" ^^

I hope i can finish it in time, two (intensive) days just for the framework and a basic menu ^^

EDIT :

here is the forum project link :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14443
Last edited by pakoskyfrog on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interstellarDAVE
Prole

Post by interstellarDAVE »

Codex wrote:
BulbaMander wrote:I actually have an idea I've been saving specifically for the purpose of using that idea in the next competition I find. It's a game based off the idea in a manga i read called Sankarea (its great) called confused eating. That's when a zombie loves a human, and they want to show affection for that human, so they bite/eat them. They cant tell that they are killing them and not showing that they love them, hence the term confused eater. Unlucky for you, you are a very attractive blue circle, in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. :P

I will wait and see what you come up with because that description just went over my head. Zombies already eat people, right? How is what you're saying any different?
Well its like we think the Zombies are evil and eating us for sustinacne, but actually the zombies are doing a different form of "making out" with us because they really like us. You can think of it like angler fish kind of, the male is absorbed into the female (and essentially dies) when they mate. Its more like a what if zombies are really friendly but we are just miss understanding them.

@BulbaMander Its a cool idea, could be explored well in movies or writing, but curious how you are going to tackle it in a game.

@pakoskyfrog awesome. You can start your own topic in the projects and post updates with screenshots and builds once you get to that point. Looking forward to playing it.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Count me in!
BulbaMander
Citizen

Post by BulbaMander »

interstellarDAVE wrote:
Codex wrote:

Well its like we think the Zombies are evil and eating us for sustinacne, but actually the zombies are doing a different form of "making out" with us because they really like us. You can think of it like angler fish kind of, the male is absorbed into the female (and essentially dies) when they mate. Its more like a what if zombies are really friendly but we are just miss understanding them.

@BulbaMander Its a cool idea, could be explored well in movies or writing, but curious how you are going to tackle it in a game.

@pakoskyfrog awesome. You can start your own topic in the projects and post updates with screenshots and builds once you get to that point. Looking forward to playing it.
well I was thinking just a top-down shooter with cool maps, and maybe implement the plot from the manga, but I don't know if I'm aloud to do that.

basically you are right though. Yea zombies eat people, but the manga is about a zombie girl falling in love, so when she feels really attracted to the main character, he almost dies, because she tries to eat him. It is kinda confusing but essentially your summed it up better than I could.
It takes an idiot to do cool things. Thats why they're cool. :emo:
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

BulbaMander wrote:
interstellarDAVE wrote:
Codex wrote:

well I was thinking just a top-down shooter with cool maps, and maybe implement the plot from the manga, but I don't know if I'm aloud to do that.

basically you are right though. Yea zombies eat people, but the manga is about a zombie girl falling in love, so when she feels really attracted to the main character, he almost dies, because she tries to eat him. It is kinda confusing but essentially your summed it up better than I could.
Perhaps you could drive home the "zombies are in love not hungry" part with little hearts floating around the zombies, or hearts in their eyes or something?