Русификация

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Русификация

Post by qubodup »

kikito wrote:Sorry qudodup, but I think that actually proves my point - they did it wrong at the beginning and later they fixed it :)
Right. They did it because of economical mis-assumption. Because the Asian market was big enough for them. "Screw people who don't speak Japanese, it is the language people should use to create RPGs! Lazy bastards!"

So do we ignore potential English-language-community growth (Which comes at the 'price' of creating a Russian-language community)? We get a free moderator after all.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Zenku
Prole

Post by Zenku »

Take care of your thoughts because they'll become words
Take care of your words because they'll become acts
Take care of acts because they'll forge your character
Take care of character because it'll determine your destiny
and your destiny ll be your life
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Also interesting that according to another article, even when you take in account second languages and foreign languages, Mandarin Chinese (which is only one variant of Chinese) has more speakers than English.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I really don't care about which is the most spoken language. This discussion isn't about that. It's about which one is the most programmed in.

If it was mandarin, I'd have already learnt it, since I'd need it in order to program. Well, it is not - because that's English.

Even if Spanish is the second most spoken language, and I'm Spanish, I believe that we should stick to English.
When I write def I mean function.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Well, all of you second-language English speakers fooled me. I've never heard somebody of a foreign language speak English that perfectly.

The problem with multilingual forums would be that when one language finds a solution, the rest are left out. It's kind of like the problem of multiple languages generally, information transfer is extremely limited because everything must be translated at some point or another. If we do decide on multilingual forums, then please at least require language administrators to inform the other topic about the biggest of news (and I mean ALL OF THEM, otherwise people are left out).

The software world is English. It surprises me, but it is. Most percentage of the planet speak English as a second language, since we U.S. citizens won the Most Stubborn Against Learning Another Language Contest. Interestingly, however, very little speak it natively. With as many people who agree to this paradigm, asking for it in the LOVE community shouldn't be that bad.

The problem is is that English, and I say this as an English speaker, has the weirdest grammar of all languages and oddly complex rules. The adjectives come before the noun, it just makes no sense! It's like pushing on a transformation stack then flooding them onto an object, its actually harder on the brain, in fact. It's easier to have a noun and then build upon it with adjectives, in my opinion.

Funny thing, English is the worst possible language for programming, because generally programming languages are structured using the grammar of most other programming languages, with objects (nouns) followed by functions (another type of noun) followed by parameters (adjectives).

All and all, I'm just glad that we have a de facto standard language for programming. I wouldn't care if it were English, German, or Chinese, I just like not having to translate everything.

Clarification for some: by English most would mean U.S. English, not British English, otherwise most code would say colour/.

Furthermore, metric for the win! Kelvin!

EDIT: Fixed some spelling. I'm a bit O.C.D. about it.
EDIT: Firefox spell checker YOU FAIL ME! How did you not magically figure out that I meant Kelvin, not Kalvin! HOW!!! (Thanks Robin.)
EDIT: In the last edit the period was outside of the ")".
Last edited by Luiji on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good bye.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Well said.
Luiji wrote:Furthermore, metric for the win! Kalvin!
Kalvin? Or Kelvin? :cool:
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:Well said.
Luiji wrote:Furthermore, metric for the win! Kalvin!
Kalvin? Or Kelvin? :cool:
Calvin

Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

If you made that reference a month ago I wouldn't of gotten it. :awesome:
Good bye.
Zenku
Prole

Post by Zenku »

I think learning a second language is very important for brain development. I fell bad for english native speakers. Everything is in english so they are not incorporating new words, thoughts, way of thinking, etc. to their being.

I was thinking it would be funny having an Spanish Programming Language. Spanish language is too concrete, too specific, so there would be a lot of trash-code haha
Take care of your thoughts because they'll become words
Take care of your words because they'll become acts
Take care of acts because they'll forge your character
Take care of character because it'll determine your destiny
and your destiny ll be your life
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

U.S. English actually incorporates a lot of words from other languages. Lame example: De Ja Vu, French. Platoue, French. There are others, too. A lot of U.S. English was patch-worked from other languages because so many different cultures moved to the Americas.

Even so, I'm trying to learn German because the Secret Maryo Chronicles forums has an entire subsection for the German language, but I have yet to find any good resources.

Back on topic, though, what's the total opinion on translations on Wikis and Forums so far? I vote yes wiki, no forum.
Good bye.