Will we ever see LuaJIT powered LÖVE?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Will we ever see LuaJIT powered LÖVE?

Post by Hexenhammer »

It seems LuaJIT and LÖVE are a match made in heaven. The (massive) speed boost provided by LuaJIT would allow making much more demanding games in LÖVE.

I just want to know whether the integration of LuaJIT is planned or not. I know that some people had success building LÖVE with LuaJIT themselves. I am talking about binaries being available here / LuaJIT officially replacing vanilla Lua.
Qcode
Party member

Re: Will we ever see LuaJIT powered LÖVE?

Post by Qcode »

http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8750
The second post in this thread has builds for LöveJIT. I don't know if you've seen these before. I believe there has been some talk of fully integrating the two.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

In the past, the main reason why LuaJIT hasn't been used over Lua in the official LÖVE distributions is because LuaJIT was still in beta. Perhaps it will be used by default in the next LÖVE version. :)
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Qcode wrote:http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8750
The second post in this thread has builds for LöveJIT.
Great, thanks!
I don't know if you've seen these before.
No, I haven't. For some strange reason I did not think about looking at that thread :shock:
Xgoff
Party member

Post by Xgoff »

Hexenhammer wrote:The (massive) speed boost provided by LuaJIT would allow making much more demanding games in LÖVE.
the potential massive speed boost

code that contains love api calls (or any calls to c libraries not bound through the ffi) likely isn't going to get much faster
very mathy or otherwise pure lua code on the other hand...
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Xgoff wrote:
Hexenhammer wrote:The (massive) speed boost provided by LuaJIT would allow making much more demanding games in LÖVE.
the potential massive speed boost

code that contains love api calls (or any calls to c libraries not bound through the ffi) likely isn't going to get much faster
very mathy or otherwise pure lua code on the other hand...
According to my tests LuaJIT makes even simple table operations (no direct math) about 8 times faster. This is big, and very useful for performance critical code like the AI (e.g. pathfinding). I am actually perfectly comfortable with C/C++ but I am using LÖVE because it's more fun and I am much more productive. I really hope to be able to write everything in Lua instead of having to fall back on some custom-built LÖVE with C extensions.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

LuaJIT is indeed much faster. There is no question about it. It is very noticeable in my current 3D project where LuaJIT helps perform the 3D math much faster.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

First of all, if you need to fall back to c extensions you're probably doing something wrong, like Jasoco here (no offense, but you know what I mean).
Anyway, in most games luajit doesn't have too much of an effect, regardless of how much faster it makes lua, since most games tend to spend most of their time rendering anyway.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

bartbes wrote:First of all, if you need to fall back to c extensions you're probably doing something wrong
I am quite sure I don't, thanks. Not everyone wants to code a Mario or Space Invaders clone. Many games have very demanding AI requirements and there is no such thing as enough performance in that case. E.g. real pathfinding for many actors on a larger map is extremely demanding.
Anyway, in most games luajit doesn't have too much of an effect, regardless of how much faster it makes lua, since most games tend to spend most of their time rendering anyway.
I don't want to try to guess what "most games" do but my games certainly don't.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

bartbes wrote:First of all, if you need to fall back to c extensions you're probably doing something wrong, like Jasoco here (no offense, but you know what I mean).
None taken.. wait, what? Explain what you mean because I know not of it.