vector based graphics

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
solecize
Prole

vector based graphics

Post by solecize »

Hey everyone,

I'm assuming this has been covered and I think I know the answer, but how are the demos using vector based graphics created/displayed. I'm assuming you are defining the vector sprites with code (love.graphics.circle etc.) instead of doing something like loading an svg (which appears to be unsupported). Anyone have any pointers for working with vector based graphics? Is there potential future support of svg?

Background: I'm an illustrator by trade and I really want to play with vector based sprites- love the default (tanks) screen and forum header btw- great looking style.
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: vector based graphics

Post by thelinx »

I too would like to see SVG loading implemented in some way or another.
solecize
Prole

Post by solecize »

looks like the Maryo game is using vectors, or maybe they are bitmaps that were rendered from vectors?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Space uses vector graphics, but they are implemented as tables with point coordinates for polygons. CyaNox made a SVG-to-table converter for it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
solecize
Prole

Post by solecize »

That's a pretty cool idea- is the converter available as a tool or is it built in? Sounds like something that could get complex pretty quickly, but a more elegant solution than using a file type.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

It is a separate utility, written in PHP. The source is at http://github.com/gvx/space/tree/master/asseteditor/ and the main converting functionality is implemented in the function export_svg in http://github.com/gvx/space/blob/master ... header.php.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
solecize
Prole

Post by solecize »

awesome- thanks! i'm gonna try it out now.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

solecize wrote:looks like the Maryo game is using vectors, or maybe they are bitmaps that were rendered from vectors?
If by Maryo you mean Secret Maryo Chronicles, then the latter. They are bitmaps rendered from vectors. Rendering vectors constantly would massively slow down the game for how complicated the graphics are.
Good bye.