AGen

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
vrld
Party member

Re: AGen

Post by vrld »

thelinx wrote:
ivan wrote:From what I remember, with Love you draw geometry in Lua every frame.
With AGen you create a "scene" (a tree of sprites and layers) and they persist throughout time so you don't have to redraw them each frame.
Hey, 0.7.0 has framebuffers!

Fraaammmee buffeerrss!
I ivan is talking about a scene graph
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Jasoco wrote:MPEG-1? What the heck is that? I've never seen an MPEG-1. Even DVD's and TV broadcasts are MPEG-2.

I wouldn't mind if Löve could play Vorbis videos like it can play OGG audio.
Oh lord.

It's called Ogg videos, Vorbis audio, and the video codec in the ogg container would be the Theora codec.

get yo facts straight

Also, I made a ticket for this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Then why do I have audio files with a .ogg extension? The point is, it would be neat if Löve could play video period. And I'd go with whatever is the most open and requires no license on any platform to prevent compatibility problems.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:Then why do I have audio files with a .ogg extension?
Because that's the container. Ogg videos are often called .ogv, because Ogg Vorbis was there sooner than Ogg Theora.
Jasoco wrote:The point is, it would be neat if Löve could play video period.
YES.
Jasoco wrote:And I'd go with whatever is the most open and requires no license on any platform to prevent compatibility problems.
Well, duh.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Whatever it is. Is OGG/Vorbis safe enough for small little open-source projects to use? Isn't MPEG-4 supposedly now free for people who offer it for free and licensed for people who offer their services at a price? Because OGG is apparently supposed to be pay license after what, 2014 or something? I forget this whole ordeal. But I'd want to use something that can keep the quality high with the file size small. And that's definitely not MPEG-1 or 2.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Hm, I think that's just a bit of FUD stuck in the back of your head. Ogg Vorbis is (and will always be) patent-free and license-free (public domain), and in the case of Ogg Theora:
The Xiph.org Foundation has negotiated an irrevocable free license from On2 to the VP3 codec. It is legal to use VP3 in any way you see fit (unless, of course, you're doing something illegal with it in your particular jurisdiction). You are free to download VP3 and Theora, use them free of charge, implement them in a for-sale product, implement them in a free product, make changes to the source and distribute those changes, or print the source code out and wallpaper your spare room with it.
And AFAIK, Ogg quality is better than reasonable, I seem to recall Vorbis offered better quality at smaller filesize than MP3, but I could be mistaken.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Then we should go with OGG for our video. If and when someone implements it. Far in the future. No hurry. (We don't want Löve to become victim of the "FMV Curse" of the 1990's when every console with a CD system was filling every empty megabyte with a crappy low quality video.)
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Sorry to bump this super old topic but (yay) AGen is now available for both Win and MacOS:
http://2dengine.com/page.php?p=download
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

LÖVE playing any type of video file would simply make my year.
@rynesaur
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

ivan wrote:Sorry to bump this super old topic but (yay) AGen is now available for both Win and MacOS:
http://2dengine.com/page.php?p=download
Congratulations on involving OSX into the AGen builds. I want to try AGen out at some point.