Hello!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Kain
Prole

Hello!

Post by Kain »

Hello y'all. I found this engine randomly and was at first drawn to the fact that I've been looking for a half decent 2D game engine for years; I own torque game builder but can't stand how clunky it is under the hood. Anyway after traveling around the site, code, wiki, and forum for a few days I've really enjoyed the atmosphere of the whole thing. There's a really light, fun thing going on that's kind of refreshing.

Anyway I'm not real familiar with Lua but after looking through the documentation about 5 minutes I'm almost up to speed; it's a ridiculously simple language. I don't really have any plans for a project with this engine yet but I'm sure I'll come up with something to do to play with it. Besides! Doing random crap that I think sounds fun is the whole reason I wanted a 2D engine in the first place. :megagrin:
Dream Big. Fight Hard. LÖVE Harder.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Hello!

Post by bartbes »

Welcome.
Kain
Prole

Post by Kain »

Thanka!
Zenchess
Prole

Post by Zenchess »

I too own torque game builder and I've been very surprised at how quickly I can work with this engine. In torque game builder I always had a problem with the documentation and figuring out how all the systems work. In love it's as simple as pie!!!

In case anyone's wondering what my current project is: It's a multiplayer "wizard duel" game in which you shoot various spells at each other in real time...Hopefully there will be a lot of reflections/counters/minions to summon so it should be interesting :)
Kain
Prole

Post by Kain »

I like TGB's TorqueScript and it's editor quite a bit but the engine itself always feels really clunky and trying to create basic engine additions in the source always gives me trouble. It's a nice piece of middleware; just not for me. I'll give LOVE a good shot and see what kind of cool stuff I can pull off with it. I get the feeling it's going to be a fun ride.

Your game sounds awesome! I played one like that before that was sort of turn based but an action type would be super fun. Are you planning to use a network for multiplayer or just have two people use the same Keyboard? Or different keyboards I suppose. xD
Zenchess
Prole

Post by Zenchess »

I've got networking working for 2 players using LUBE. It's not time yet but eventually I'll set up a master server for finding games.

I've only been working on the game for 2 days, so far it's playable and the lag isn't too bad with the lube networking. Right now all you can do is fire a projectile, or charge up and fire a bigger one. Pretty soon I hope to have stuff like reflecting shots, control points to help your mana regen, summoning creatures, and various other spells. :P I also want to make customization of your wizard a big part of it.

The biggest problem I forsee is trying to get good artwork for the game. I haven't had much luck with free art sites. Thank god for the particle system, though =)

Does anyone know if it's possible to network the love physics system? I haven't tried yet because I've assumed it wouldn't work. I do know that new version of torque 2d coming out next year will have this feature (also using box 2d) which is pretty sweet.
Kain
Prole

Post by Kain »

Sweet! Sounds like loads of fun. Art is always a pain in the ass.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Zenchess wrote:I haven't had much luck with free art sites.
Do you know OpenGameArt?
Help us help you: attach a .love.