Notepad++?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ryne
Party member

Notepad++?

Post by Ryne »

So I've been using Notepad to code everything, which I've always used for any type of coding. I'm starting to think that Notepad++ with syntax highlighting would be a lot easier, does anyone use it, or another one that would be useful?
@rynesaur
zac352
Party member

Re: Notepad++?

Post by zac352 »

I use Gedit. :neko:
Hello, I am not dead.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Notepad++ is your best bet on Windows.

Be sure to get the autocompletion config for LÖVE.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I use vim under Linux and notepad++ under Windows.
Mud
Citizen

Post by Mud »

TechnoCat wrote:I use vim under Linux and notepad++ under Windows.
Why switch? Just curious.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Mud wrote:
Not really sure. I think it was because vim wasn't satisfactory on Windows. I tried cream gvim or something.

EDIT: yeah, the command prompt just isn't as useful as the UNIX terminal is. So vim isn't as handy in Windows.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

I use Notepad++ for all my coding (I'm a web programmer by profession). The search/replace functions are invaluable. I just wish that then ... end could be pair highlighted the same way () and {} can be.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Mud
Citizen

Post by Mud »

TechnoCat wrote:I think it was because vim wasn't satisfactory on Windows.
Runs/looks exactly the same under both Windows and Linux for me (other than the window border, of course).
TechnoCat wrote:yeah, the command prompt just isn't as useful as the UNIX terminal is. So vim isn't as handy in Windows.
How much do you use the command line for in Vim? The only thing I really invoked externally are various programming languages. That and grep, but Vim has grep built-in now (vgrep). Maybe wc and sort. :D

I'm just so addicted to Vim, I can't imagine willingly switching to CUA editor on purpose, unless it was something like Visual Slick Edit (very expensive editor which I'm pretty sure contains alien technology).
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

TechnoCat wrote:
Mud wrote:
Not really sure. I think it was because vim wasn't satisfactory on Windows. I tried cream gvim or something.

EDIT: yeah, the command prompt just isn't as useful as the UNIX terminal is. So vim isn't as handy in Windows.
I spent several minutes staring at the batch help-thingy for the copy command, trying to figure out how to pack my love into an exe. :roll:
Hello, I am not dead.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Mud wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:yeah, the command prompt just isn't as useful as the UNIX terminal is. So vim isn't as handy in Windows.
How much do you use the command line for in Vim? The only thing I really invoked externally are various programming languages. That and grep, but Vim has grep built-in now (vgrep). Maybe wc and sort. :D.
The main thing I like about vim is that your hands never leave their spot on the keyboard. Then I can navigate between terminals and still have my hands in their spot. This is because you can do almost everything in UNIX from the terminal.
In windows, I don't get this luxury, I pretty much am forced to use my mouse in most cases when i switch out of my editor. When I try to do keyboard only in Windows, I end up putting :w all over my document.
zac352 wrote:I spent several minutes staring at the batch help-thingy for the copy command, trying to figure out how to pack my love into an exe. :roll:
Just use the command prompt. It is one line long.

Code: Select all

copy /b love.exe+<love file> <target exe>