What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

adnzzzzZ wrote: Now with almost 100 passives/items!
Mindblown. How come I did miss such a project ? or is it the first time you're mentionning it on the forums ?
Anyway, it looks clean!
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

I've been posting fairly consistently I think for the past few weeks/months. Also, thanks!
vladgalay
Citizen

Post by vladgalay »

Flyer Deathmatch. Top-down shooter with one human-controlled, and seven AI-controlled players against each other on a small map. If everything will be alright, i will release this game tomorrow =)
Sodium
Prole

Post by Sodium »

do you remember my old game, car thing? of course not!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61eldq85b6snvmj/bemy.love
its pretty messy, I'm using class for the first time, dunno how some stuffs works yet.
I love okra. :P
rexjericho
Prole

Post by rexjericho »

Hey guys! I've been working on collision detection and tile map stuff for a computer game. I wrote up this quick sandbox environment and I think it's pretty fun, but you don't have to take my word for it, try it yourself! No need to read ahead, controls are within the .love.
NB6BBKC.png
NB6BBKC.png (57.97 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Features:
- Tile aligned and world coordinate collisions
- Resolution independent
- Colours change on reload
- Smooth camera
- Simple graphics

Notes:
- 'larger' resolutions recommened
- There's a potential for a lot of stuff to be happening at once, so you may experience frame rate drops depending on how hog wild you go. Holding the down key clears objects from the screen in case the framerate gets too bad.
- Pressing 'escape' should exit the game immediately
- Collision handling may not be accurate at all times, but collision detection should
- may or may not work if you have a joystick plugged in. I have hardcoded a "SZMY-POWER CO.,LTD. GAMEPAD 3 TURBO" ps3 controller in for personal use.
- may crash if you touch anything during the brief loading screen

Feedback appreciated. Please let me know if the fullscreen display works. Fullscreen should not scale the picture, but just show more of the map. Also: How do you feel about the player movement controls? How do you feel about the camera tracking?
Attachments
invaders.love
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

If non love projects count....
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Well... for the past 2 hours I've been working on this:
HWFtiYI.jpg
HWFtiYI.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 303 times
The calculator will have customisation. It's really just to help me practice making GUI's. I plan on it having:

• Custom Themes
• Image Backgrounds
• Custom Sounds
• Gradients
• Resizing support

If you just wanted to see what I was working on, move along. Nothing to see here. If you want to read a little story on what I made this, read on:

I got out of coding in LÖVE after Mr. BallGuy 2. Why? Ever other project after that wasn't working. Weeks of effort and to no avail. Yes, I learned a lot from those projects, and it's stuff that is important now. So, after all those projects failing, I ran out of game ideas. Seriously, I was and still am completely out of ideas for games. I can't make side-scollers because I can't use ATL properly, I can't make my Doodle Jump game because it's just not working(I'll be making it in Java soon using LibGDX with someone else, but I intend to port it to LÖVE. I'd be easier to write in Java using LibGDX, for me at least. I'll be livestreaming it too... well... some of it), and every other game has been done. So, I started learning LibGDX. It was going brilliantly, but I got out of game development. Like completely. I hadn't attempted to make a game in about a month or so, because I had no motivation. One of the biggest things that killed my interest were apps like GameMaker, Scratch, UDK, etc. Being able to drag&drop boxes and use little code frustrated me to the point of "blind fury". I'm not an angry person, I'm very tolerant of almost everything and everyone. But these apps just angered me. But, about 2 weeks ago, I found out that a lot of the "big name games" were written in code(I think all of VALVe's game were coded, but I'm not sure). Anyway, I've cooled off a bit about that, accepted people use them, and decided that I will not play any games made with them and not play any future games the developer makes, coded or not(Hotline: Miami was one I did play in my friends house, was about to buy it then found out it was made with GameMaker and didn't buy it). So, after finding out a lot of good games were coded(other then Minecraft), I got my inspiration for coding back. I still don't have any ideas for games though. So, I thought I'd make a calculator. When I made my first Window(I think it was with C++ SFML), I said I was going to make a calculator. That was around Jan/Feb this year, and now I'm working on one.

So yeah, that's what I'm working on: A Simple LÖVE Calculator. The OP didn't say what you had to post had to be a "game", it just said a project. :) Hopefully this counts.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
clofresh
Citizen

Post by clofresh »

Gauntlet meets HP Lovecraft, starring Dunwich the pig!

----------------------------------------
Sluicer Games
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Eamonn wrote:Well... for the past 2 hours I've been working on this:

If you just wanted to see what I was working on, move along. Nothing to see here. If you want to read a little story on what I made this, read on:
Nice. I'd love yo see a scientifc and a programming modes (with much much functions). You can take some inspiration from Windows built-in calculator, for instance...
WsxtJ5as.jpg
WsxtJ5as.jpg (2.67 KiB) Viewed 305 times
B2pWIcJs.jpg
B2pWIcJs.jpg (2.73 KiB) Viewed 305 times
afbICuNs.jpg
afbICuNs.jpg (2.61 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Eamonn wrote: I got out of coding in LÖVE after Mr. BallGuy 2. Why? Ever other project after that wasn't working. Weeks of effort and to no avail. Yes, I learned a lot from those projects, and it's stuff that is important now. So, after all those projects failing, I ran out of game ideas. Seriously, I was and still am completely out of ideas for games. I can't make side-scollers because I can't use ATL properly, I can't make my Doodle Jump game because it's just not working(I'll be making it in Java soon using LibGDX with someone else, but I intend to port it to LÖVE.
Motivation is a quite complex thing. Sometimes you have it, and you feel like you can code anything. Sometimes, you just don't.
Well, give it some time, it'll come back again. This calculator thing is a breakdown, right after that, consider working on a simple game project, and stick to it until you have a working prototype. And don't spoil it too much on forums unless it has grown to a certain point.
Best luck to you.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

rexjericho wrote:Hey guys! I've been working on collision detection and tile map stuff for a computer game. I wrote up this quick sandbox environment and I think it's pretty fun, but you don't have to take my word for it, try it yourself! No need to read ahead, controls are within the .love.

Features:
- Tile aligned and world coordinate collisions
- Resolution independent
- Colours change on reload
- Smooth camera
- Simple graphics

Notes:
- 'larger' resolutions recommened
- There's a potential for a lot of stuff to be happening at once, so you may experience frame rate drops depending on how hog wild you go. Holding the down key clears objects from the screen in case the framerate gets too bad.
- Pressing 'escape' should exit the game immediately
- Collision handling may not be accurate at all times, but collision detection should
- may or may not work if you have a joystick plugged in. I have hardcoded a "SZMY-POWER CO.,LTD. GAMEPAD 3 TURBO" ps3 controller in for personal use.
- may crash if you touch anything during the brief loading screen

Feedback appreciated. Please let me know if the fullscreen display works. Fullscreen should not scale the picture, but just show more of the map. Also: How do you feel about the player movement controls? How do you feel about the camera tracking?
Plain awesome. Doesn't play well with a touchpad, I just noticed, otherwise this is amazing. Well done!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de