What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kraftman
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by kraftman »

I'm back! It's been a while. I'm picking up where I left off with my terraria-esque game.
Crafting
Currently working on a new crafting system where the players pick up weapon templates, and fill them out using the materials they have collected. The positioning and materials used govern the weapon name and stats. If you want to have a play click the material and then start from the green square and fill out the template. the name of the weapon in the top right should change

Next I want to work on adding texture to the weapons based on the material used

I'm toying with the idea of letting the player design weapons any way they want but I figured it would just end up with people running around swinging giant dicks.

Spells
Also working on a magicka-esque spells system where you can combine different elements to make a new spell.
Use q/a w/s e/d r/f to adjust the elements in the spell recipe, then left click to fire, right click to place or remove blocks.

Adding earth increases the gravity on the spell, adding magic compensates and full magic means the spell has no gravity and no collisions.
Attachments
Spells.love
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Crafting.love
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Lugen
Prole

Post by Lugen »

Been working on this since late summer I think, some kind of isometric action game which recently turned 3D. Perspective is a bit subtle since I found it looking better, but still removes the awkwardness of a orthographic view. I guess the pictures and video speak for themselves. I'm doing "deferred" lighting meaning I render normals and depth their own canvases then using those to calculate light. The environment meshes use a tangent space normal map shader while the sprites just have an additional sheet with the normals already at correct direction in relation to the view.
The "depth buffer" I've implemented using vertex color is having precision problems though, which is why some edges flicker and make sawtooth pattens if they're next to another face.
In terms of gameplay there's not anything to speak of really. It has mostly been a technical endeavor getting the basic stuff to work, graphics pipeline, lighting, collision, entities etc.

Is it possible to have vimeo videos showing up in the post?
https://vimeo.com/113028606
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

That's very impressive, Lugen. Would be quite nice for a Diablo-esque video game :)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The features of my platformer engine based on Bump:

It's a little buggy and it still uses Bump 2.0. Some of the physics is weird with carried and thrown objects. I need to rewrite the collisions for Bump 3.0 and will fix the bugs then.

I wanted to make a SMB2 homage, but wanted to add some stuff from other platformers too so it'll be like a hybrid.

SMB2 didn't have water at all. At least not water you can swim in. So I implemented SMB3 style water where you swim anywhere in the water and hold UP and JUMP to jump out of the water. I love the splashing particles. I would like to make it have realistic rippling like in Spelunky once I figure out how.

Ladders work how they do in SMB2 but I don't care for the way they worked. I'd like to change it to Spelunky-style ladders where you are locked horizontally and will jump straight out in the direction you are holding when you want to leave the ladder. The way it is now is a bit wonky and sometimes you slip right off.

Sand works like it does in SMB2. Complete with delay animation while you pull it up. This is my favorite use of particles so far.

You can also pull up plants from the ground like "veggies" or bombs. Okay, they don't look like veggies. But they are projectiles. The bombs explode after 3 seconds. However they don't start the countdown until you throw them. I need to change that when I rewrite the collisions. Bombs can destroy certain rocks.

Also pick up blocks like the blue mushroom blocks in the example. Their physics are weird but they work for now. Sometimes they land wrong and catycornered. I hope to fix this. Though I think they might have done this occasionally in the original.

Ice is slippery and movement physics work differently when trying to walk on it. It needs work and tweaking but it works pretty well so far.

Conveyor belts are pass-through on all sides except the top, like they are in SMB2. And they move you in a certain direction, like SMB2. I will probably make them triggerable and controllable with switches in the final product.

Still need to implement enemies and moving platforms. With Bump it should be easy. I'll do it when I rewrite the collisions so I can do it correctly.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

kraftman wrote:I'm back! It's been a while. I'm picking up where I left off with my terraria-esque game.
Crafting
Currently working on a new crafting system where the players pick up weapon templates, and fill them out using the materials they have collected. The positioning and materials used govern the weapon name and stats. If you want to have a play click the material and then start from the green square and fill out the template. the name of the weapon in the top right should change

Next I want to work on adding texture to the weapons based on the material used

I'm toying with the idea of letting the player design weapons any way they want but I figured it would just end up with people running around swinging giant dicks.

Spells
Also working on a magicka-esque spells system where you can combine different elements to make a new spell.
Use q/a w/s e/d r/f to adjust the elements in the spell recipe, then left click to fire, right click to place or remove blocks.

Adding earth increases the gravity on the spell, adding magic compensates and full magic means the spell has no gravity and no collisions.
I like the spell system - well done! Magica is an awesome game.
You might want to think about what happens when you have only earth in the spell. It's weird that one can't see that spell at all.

The crafting system is a cool idea, it's awesome how you can create a better tool out of an older tool. But if I were you I would make it simpler to craft - clicking so many boxes is tedious. Especially if you have to click them in the right order.
Maybe add a "fill" tool which allowe you to fill all pixels of the same colour?

@ Jasoco and Lugan: Great work!
Awesome lighting Lugan, and Jasoco, your video always reminds me of Jump n' bump in a good way - especially the water :)
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

@Jasoco: Really, Jasoco, everything you do is amazing, in terms of code. I really wish you pusblish some of them (even unfinished) on a code tracker (such a Github).

@Lugan: Astonishing. This really looks great.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

Lugen...

SWEEEEET GEEEEZUSSS

that outdates what I'm about to post...

I added some sorts of graphics, and tried to abstract the way I was drawing to get more frames, and for the most part it worked.

I had thought about shaders but I had no idea how to make the normal maps.

though recently I found a game that was pretty much what I was going to make. So that always sucks.

anyway, good hussle everyone! Good lookin progress on your games.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I added something to my platformer that might look a bit familiar if you're into the indie platformer scene...

Edit: Am I the only one in here now? Fine.

So much is going on here. Such shiny coins.

An OT will be coming soon. Please be excited.
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

jesus chirst jasoco that is awesome
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Doctory wrote:jesus chirst jasoco that is awesome
Wait until you see what I made now...

I was bored last night and couldn't sleep so I did a thing.