What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Jasoco »

Been working on the UI for my platforming game level editor:

I was inspired by the aesthetic of Besiege as you can see from the vignette background and the flat toolbars. I spent last night writing a toolbar GUI because I just wanted to get rid of the half broken toolbar I was using.

A floating tile information balloon hovers next to your mouse cursor to tell you exactly what is in that tile. Right now it doesn't count entities but it will. It even breaks the tile information into its 4 separate layers so you can easily tell what tiles are behind others and which layer you will be removing if you're in erase mode.

The tiles window is still there but eventually all tiles and entities and stuff will go in the bottom toolbar area and will change when you switch layers. (I actually wrote a windowing system for fun just to make movable toolbars. One of them was an Info window that contained the information the balloon does now. Will be a shame to get rid of it but it just doesn't work with my aesthetic anymore.)

Good UI design is really difficult. I've studied the editor UI's of a few games, mainly Besiege, to see what works and what goes where. I originally wanted one toolbar with everything so the editor area isn't crowded but eventually settled for a separate file toolbar and edit toolbar. I am also very intrigued by the UI of Super Mario Maker. It's so intuitive and awesome looking. While I won't be able to mimic everything, I might incorporate some features from it. Like the entity/tile chooser. Maybe you'll be able to choose favorites or it'll count which tiles and entities you use most and add them to a hot list in the main toolbar with a toggle to show all available entities and tiles.

Right now the game has 5 different types of layers per map. Collision, tiles, entities, coins and start/warp exit points. I plan on merging coins and start points into the Entities layer. Trying to simplify things. Believe me, it used to be more convoluted. I had layers for everything including separate plant, ladder, door and liquid layers. Eventually I made them all into entities. It's just a matter of time before I do the same for coins and start points. Start points can be merged with doors and coins will be an entity when I create an "entity painting" mode and easy way to delete multiple entities at once via a selection box. Also, it's really hard to think of an icon for the "Entity" layer. So I always end up just using an E. Hopefully the Collision icon (The overlapping squares) and the Tiles icon (The selected layer that looks like a SMB ground tile) are recognizable enough to work.

I'm putting more work in my editor than the engine right now.

I also have a neat entity filter in place that I'm proud of. It's animated and awesome and works like this:

Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Jasoco wrote:snip
Holy gosh. That may be one of the most advanced LÖVE projects I've seen in a long time. I can't wait to try it :nyu:
AntonioModer
Party member

Post by AntonioModer »

CP270WSWEAAXyLj.png large.png
CP270WSWEAAXyLj.png large.png (628.02 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
Jasoco, good editor. I make game editor too.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

I'm working on my Space Taxi clone again - started from scratch, this time with some solid
and reusable systems in mind.

Updated gif - here is a bit of the passenger handling, spawning and despawning. (no gfx and sfx yet)
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Jasoco wrote:Been working on the UI for my platforming game level editor:
Very nice Jasoco!
cval
Citizen

Post by cval »

Been trying to push through a few projects

And relatively young mage pvp arena
Calandriel
Prole

Post by Calandriel »

Simple sidescroller about a rockstar. Kinda nonsense, but i like that style. remind me Snes games.
Attachments
That purple haired girls are your fans. When they see you they keep shouting and the photographers will try to take a pic of you. if he did, one ofe the pics at the side will get a "x" if they all are with "x" the game is over. you can hide yourself in the bushes, or just atack everyone ho try to photograph you ^^
That purple haired girls are your fans. When they see you they keep shouting and the photographers will try to take a pic of you. if he did, one ofe the pics at the side will get a "x" if they all are with "x" the game is over. you can hide yourself in the bushes, or just atack everyone ho try to photograph you ^^
snaps.png (500.62 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
If violence is not solving all your problems, You're simply not using enough of it.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Calandriell Some news about wtf I'm doing.
Tumblr:https://www.tumblr.com/blog/calandriell I use to draw some random stuff.
OrbitalBlueprint
Prole

Post by OrbitalBlueprint »

Last edited by OrbitalBlueprint on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

added some ranged attacks to video game

「BOLT BARRAGE」 - shoots a lot of arrows really fast

「CHARGE SHOT」 - charges your aura and release it as arrows

「PERFURATING SHOT」 - shoots arrows that pierces enemies once

「AURA BURST ARROW」 - shoots an arrow that attaches itself to an enemy and explodes 1 second later. Aura explosions chain react and will explode other nearby attached arrows

kxait
Prole

Post by kxait »

Right now working on getting the console lua function to work properly with threads and everything.
Anyone know why love.thread.newThread("print(\"hello\");") tells me that no file with that name can be found?

Streaming right now, too:
http://twitch.tv/kxait
Hey.