What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Whatthefuck
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Whatthefuck »

I decided if I want to make a large scale game then I gotta start with a small scale one to get the funds necessary to hire the people. :D
I'm currently working on a game dev sim game. I really liked the idea of Game Dev Tycoon, but found that the execution was really weak and wasn't very representative of how game development works in a lot of areas, so I decided to try and make a game dev sim game I'd like to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzpYhwClqSE

Super long video, I simply play the game there to show all the stuff that's done (and I didn't even get to show all of it, due to that error at the end, would probably take me like another 30-40 mins to show it all anyway :D), so if you have the 38 mins and are interested, watch it all the way. :)

It's also suffering from a really bad case of "absolutely no sprites to work with", so I have to make use of what I have at hand. :crazy:
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Looks pretty cool! If I were to make some suggestions:
- Allow counter-offers (i.e. offer a lower/higher salary (or don't even show starting salaries for people and negotiate later)).
- Make the color path the employee is walking correspond to the color of the employee (the red employee has a red path, etc.)
- Offer skill training if employees don't know a skill (maybe this is the same as "practicing"?)
- Make a "new engine" dialogue box or make them appear on the right side of the screen
- Have "conversations" be colored according to player and wrap lines

Looks pretty good so far though
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

davisdude wrote:Looks pretty cool! If I were to make some suggestions:
- Allow counter-offers (i.e. offer a lower/higher salary (or don't even show starting salaries for people and negotiate later)).
- Make the color path the employee is walking correspond to the color of the employee (the red employee has a red path, etc.)
- Offer skill training if employees don't know a skill (maybe this is the same as "practicing"?)
- Make a "new engine" dialogue box or make them appear on the right side of the screen
- Have "conversations" be colored according to player and wrap lines

Looks pretty good so far though
- counter offers/negotiating salaries sounds cool, but after doing that for like 20 employees you'd get bored of it
- the color path is there for debug purposes, it's not an actual game mechanic of any kind :D
- yeah, practice is what you just described
- not sure I understand what you mean
- yeah, I am going to add wrapping, not so sure what I'll do with the colors, because I am using colored rectangles atm simply because I have no sprites to work with, once I get some, the coloration will be gone

thanks for the feedback
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Whatthefuck wrote:- not sure I understand what you mean
At the point in the video when you got frustrated with all the new engines being announced and having to close them, instead why not have a box in the corner that shows new engines, that way it's easier to ignore if you want to. It could play a sound when a new engine is released or something, but not impede gameplay if you don't care.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

davisdude wrote:
Whatthefuck wrote:- not sure I understand what you mean
At the point in the video when you got frustrated with all the new engines being announced and having to close them, instead why not have a box in the corner that shows new engines, that way it's easier to ignore if you want to. It could play a sound when a new engine is released or something, but not impede gameplay if you don't care.
Ah, I understand now, I'll probably just make them display in the general event box.
qflux
Prole

Post by qflux »

I am making a Box Model/Styling/OOP user library, if you're interested hit me up @https://discord.gg/c8F4qmq
IndieLöver
Prole

Post by IndieLöver »

I started working on a.. collectible hex-based mech building card game? Though, haven't been making much progress as of late, as I fractured my left collarbone week and a half ago when I fell with my bike. The surgery was three days ago and it went fine, so there's really nothing stopping me from continuing the project now.
Thus far, I've built the hexmap-thing and the networking thing separately, now's the time to bring the thing together. Sending data through tcp connections was easy enough, but all the account-password stuff and storing information on a server? That worries me a bit. But one issue at a time, and I'm sure I'll eventually get something done that resembles a game :)
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

Infinite, incremental polygon tiling via a coroutine.
Noob_Maker
Prole

Post by Noob_Maker »

I'm working on a sidescroller called RED. It's a video game based off The Little Red Ridding Hood. The thing is though I have no idea if I should use Unity or LOVE so I might have two versions at the end or when one will be finnshed first

maybe Unity

Maybe LOVE

I'm not sure

It's a race!!!! :ultraglee: :ultraglee: :ultraglee:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Tanner wrote:Infinite, incremental polygon tiling via a coroutine.
I don't know what this is or what it's for, but it's impressive.