What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
bubbie
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by bubbie »

Germanunkol wrote:
bubbie wrote:My first time having a look at Love2D, still working on a lot of the little bits.
[...]
As far as I could tell Love didn't have any actual built-in buttons so I made my own choppy system for them.
Yes, Löve doesn't require you to use a specific UI framework, and making your own is good for practice. However, when you really want to start making your UI, I strongly recommend using a UI library made by someone else.
For example, making a good text-input-box can take days or weeks (unicode support, proper text editing with cursor-keys, word-wrapping etc) and is just not worth ones' time when what you really want to make is a game, not a UI framework.
So I recommend checking out this (uncomplete) list of libraries - there are many UI libraries in there which take that burden off you and let you start working on the actual game much faster.
That's quite useful, thanks!
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

Now I have named my game 'Wish Upon a Dark Star'. I've been playing with lighting, something I've put off for a while now, here is an example at night time (00:00) with fire.

I'm thinking it needs a little something more but not sure.
Linkpy
Party member

Post by Linkpy »

Working on a dependency for my first game : a C++ XML library, based on TinyXML2 :

Code: Select all

#include <iostream>
#include <ns/xml.hpp>

using namespace std;
using namespace ns;

int
main (int argc, char** argv)
{
    // On créer le document XML.
    xml::C_Document doc;
    // On créer un flux de sortie.
    xml::C_OutStream os(doc);
        // On commence par ajouter une déclaration
    os  << xml::newDeclaration ("nsxml version=\"1.0\"")
        // On poursuit avec un commentaire.
        << xml::newComment ("Comment generated by NsXML")
        // On créer un nouvelle élement "root" puis on entre dedans.
        << xml::newElement ("root") << xml::enter ()
            // On créer un élement "item"
            << xml::newElement ("item")
                // On lui met l'attribue "first" à "true"
                << xml::setAttribute<> ("first", "true")
            // Et on entre dedans
            << xml::enter ()
                // On ajoute le texte "1" et on sort.
                << xml::newText<int>(1) << xml::leave ()
            // Et on répète ça 2 autre fois avec différente valeurs.
            << xml::newElement ("item")
                << xml::setAttribute<int> ("index", 1)
            << xml::enter ()
                << xml::newText<int> (2) << xml::leave ()
            << xml::newElement ("item") << xml::enter ()
                << xml::newText<int> (3) << xml::leave ();

cout << endl;
    doc.print();
    cout << endl;

return 0;
}
For the main page of the Doxygen documentation. This allow me to write and read XML with a C++ `iostream` syntax. Quiet good.
I know, this is C++, not Lua with Love2D :c
Founder of NeoShadow Studio. Currently working on the project "Sirami".
github / linkpy
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

Pathfinding has been a bit of a bottleneck on my laptop (it was causing stutters) in that game I'm working on, so I've implemented 2 optimizations: path caching and multithreading the pathfinders. The result is that in the long run it does a lot less work when finding paths on the main thread, and uses only a tiny bit more memory.

Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Linkpy wrote: // On créer le document XML.
// On créer un flux de sortie.
// On créer un nouvelle élement "root" puis on entre dedans.
// On créer un élement "item"
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Trying to finish a baseline 2D platformer to serve as a tutorial for the wiki.
When I say baseline, I mean there is a ground, there is a player, the player can move left and right, and jump.

I'm doing this because the platformer tutorial on the wiki isn't finished as far as I can tell. I wanna put it on the wiki because I don't want to start my own website (again) nor do I want to make YouTube channel and upload videos.

It's gonna take some time though since I'm new to LOVE (been jamming with the language for approx. 2 days) however I'm not new to programming so that certainly helps a lot.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Our gamejam started a couple of hours ago and once again I try to do a game on my own, in löve. One other guy is doing his game in the Blender game engine, everyone else is using unity. Depressing.

I decided to do an audio game this time, no graphics, except some menu. 44 hours to go :)
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

murks wrote:Our gamejam started a couple of hours ago and once again I try to do a game on my own, in löve. One other guy is doing his game in the Blender game engine, everyone else is using unity. Depressing.

I decided to do an audio game this time, no graphics, except some menu. 44 hours to go :)
Audio can be finnicky, good luck! :3

To stay on topic, i'm working on a module tracker implementation in löve... at the moment, anyway. Don't have too much to show sadly.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Here is some pixel art stuff for you guys :p
I'm creating some minimalistic 8x8 test-tilesets to get ideas for future game prototypes.
I set a couple limitations for myself while creating them to get a consistent look and feel.
If I decide to use one "theme" I'll start to build on top of those by adding more complex tiles etc..

___________Sweet Candy Theme_____________________Dead Desert Theme___________________Tropical Theme
Last edited by MadByte on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin.o'mara
Prole

Post by kevin.o'mara »

I'm working on a framework for "dudes-in-a-corridor" style boardgames (like Space Hulk and sort of like XCOM, i.e. 2d grid, action points, overwatch, that sort of thing). I'm trying to make the framework as modular and usable as possible, with an easy to use API and all that. Hopefully other people will use it once I'm done! In case you want to follow the project on GitHub: https://github.com/kevin-d-omara/Dudes-in-a-Corridor

I just finished my raycasting algorithm yesterday. Although, I'm going to improve it for more varied terrain. I wouldn't have been able to complete the raycaster algorithm if it wasn't for unit testing with LuaUnit.

I'm so excited to be doing this. Making this type of board game into a computer game has been my long standing dream. Ultimately I'm going to make a game using these board game tiles I made over the last year: (higher resolution + gallery)

However, right now my game looks like this :awesome: :

edit: added higher resolution + gallery link