What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
coffee
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by coffee »

SiENcE wrote:Something i'm working on: Dungeonspace.
4 Player Multiplayer Test. More Infos soon.
Tested the online prototype. Worked in Safari spite the initial errors. It's not possible do anything else than movement right? Screenshots seem great.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

coffee wrote:
SiENcE wrote:Something i'm working on: Dungeonspace.
4 Player Multiplayer Test. More Infos soon.
Tested the online prototype. Worked in Safari spite the initial errors. It's not possible do anything else than movement right? Screenshots seem great.
Thanks for this info.

Yes the online prototype is a bit off due to the lack of network multiplayer.

on todo is:
-fightsystem
-itemsystem
-questsystem
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

SiENcE wrote:
Jasoco wrote:So glad there's people interested in my LöveKart and WolfenLöve engines (Names not final). But right now I'm taking a break from them so I can refresh myself and jump back in.

The Kart game really just needs better opponent AI. i.e. allow them to avoid each other by moving left or right to pass while still remaining on the correct path, and better collision and kart physics. Mainly sliding when turning sharp. i.e, your kart is aiming and turning one direction but momentum and the ground type you are on determines how much you slide.
Maybe you can do a community project out of LöveKart, so that people can help you to fix bugs and create karts&tracks!?
I like the idea. :)
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Post by Nikolai Resokav »

SiENcE wrote:Nice GUI. Is it oss?
If that means open source then yes. Once I finish the majority of the library I'll probably put it up on github.
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

Still working on A.tree and Cartographer been a bit slow cause of college but made some progress lately. Finally added a page for A.tree to Indie db,
just click on this image of what it looks like now to go there :)
Dull but sincere filler.
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

timmeh42 wrote:Procedural trees - trying to get them to have some degree of randomness, but also need to save the angle values for every branch - bit of a dilemma. Also, drawing hundreds of images just for one tree is highly inefficient - that's the fps in the corner there.
Just solved the FPS issue with this: I was drawing lines as well as textures for each branch; apparently these lines are EXTREMELY inefficient - as soon as I removed the parts that drew them, the FPS shot up to 500 - which is bothersome. I was only drawing as many lines as I drew images; what's up with drawing lines in Löve?

EDIT: Dealt with.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I started doing an hybrid between zelda, gauntlet and rogue. Its provisional name is Battle Cry.

The screenshots so far are not very exciting:
battle-cry.png
battle-cry.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Designers are welcome, by the way ;)

Most of the work so far has been done in the code. I've really tried to make the thing flexible for what I have in mind, and I think I'm getting interesting results.

My plan is having a tile-based world populated with "Beings". Each Being has a Body and a Mind. Bodies perceive the world via senses, and minds instruct the bodies to perform actions via wishes. I wanted to have this structure in order to have flexibility in the spells. The mind/body separation should be useful to have interesting mental spells, like "exchange bodies". It also allows me to reuse some code (I can use the same mind to move a rat and a fly, for example). The senses/wishes separation should be useful for modelling hallucinations, invisibility, line of sight, etc.

So far I've got 2 minds (the player mind, controlled by the player, and a "follower", who follows people around) a single body (the bald guy you see there) and a couple simple senses (current position and "ultrasight"). The thing still needs a lot of work, but I can already see some pleasing stuff. One part I'm particularly proud of is the Being:update() method:

Code: Select all

function Being:update(dt)                                                       
  self.body:update(self.mind.wishes, dt) 
  self.mind:update(self.body.senses, dt) 
end
Today I managed to finish implementing collision between my bodies and "solid" tiles in the world (It's actually a bit more complicated than that :) ). It took me a couple days to get it right. I realize why so many people are having trouble with it. I might have to write something about it.

Next I want to add proper sight, more kinds of tiles (holes) and a flying body, who should be able to traverse holes but not walls. Then I'll add a Camera, some map loading, and the first weapon and health systems. And then, I have more plans, but this should keep me busy for a while.

If anyone is interested in the code, it can be found on github: https://github.com/kikito/battle-cry
When I write def I mean function.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

That sounds incredibly interesting!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Reminds me a bit of MVC. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Robin wrote:Reminds me a bit of MVC. :P
I see how it can :) I'm damaged goods.
When I write def I mean function.