What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Guard13007
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Guard13007 »

That looks really good. I'm struggling to even decide if I want to try to throw together a last second attempt at something. Only a few hours left but I want to do something.
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

You're not alone shru, here is my entry :crazy:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-3 ... &uid=26303

Edit: Killer bunny! Nice.
shru
Prole

Post by shru »

Aaaaaaaaaand It's finished! You can grab it here! https://shru.itch.io/animal-arena

I'll definitely check out your game after I've had some rest, kbmonkey. edit: Cool game, I dug the visuals and sound. Maybe one change I would have made would be to have brought the list of forms closer to the center of the field of view, I found it tough to always be looking back and forth between the two.
itchtwittergithub
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Was watching someone play Enter the Gungeon and one of the characters had a dog that would follow him around so I decided to try and mimic this behavior. Eventually I put in collision detection. I don't even know what I'd use it for but I do like the idea of a pet that follows your player.

In my example, Link can't help that he's so damn attractive and that all the girls look like the girl of his dreams.

It's a little flakey. I only put in a crowd of them to test how they behave. In reality there would only be like one or two and they'd only collide with walls and scenery. With two I'd just have them each target a different unique point around the player. Before I added collision they would all try and occupy the same space and it looked wrong. I need to figure out how to make them swarm around the player. Better crowd control. Then some path finding around obstacles that only gets used when the path is blocked.
Guard13007
Party member

Post by Guard13007 »

That looks really cool. Would love to see a person with a swarm of robots following them like that. Make them flying with a little moving up and down animation? That would look pretty cool.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

It's just a prototype. I don't even know what I'd do with it. Playing around for the sake of seeing what I can do. It's only meant for one entity like in Gungeon where it's a pet that follows you. But it could be useful for other things if I implement a sort of pathfinding AI for getting around obstacles.

I did a bit more work today...

They now check to see if they have a line of sight to the target entity. It doesn't do much right now. Initially it would make them stop following if they lost sight of the target but it's a bit buggy so I disabled it. It needs work. LOS is of course handled by Bump as well.

I want to keep playing around. I already have a coroutine-enabled A* library I have used before. Maybe it'll work here too.
cval
Citizen

Post by cval »

Now with upgraded spritebatch i can draw tons of stuff without too much of a perfomance drop.
RagingDave
Prole

Post by RagingDave »

After a long absence from game development I again realized that I cannot be happy without it.. browsed all my old unfinished games and stumbled upon a concept I made with love 0.8.something. I decided to finally make a game out of it. After migrating to the newest love and tweaking some stuff it looks like that:

(watch HD.. I wish I had a gif but all my attempts in making one on linux failed.. too bad quality / too large file... how do you do it?)

The basic game is inspired by Qonk and I plan to spice it up a little. Wish me luck :)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

RagingDave wrote:(watch HD.. I wish I had a gif but all my attempts in making one on linux failed.. too bad quality / too large file... how do you do it?)

The basic game is inspired by Qonk and I plan to spice it up a little. Wish me luck :)
I love Qonk! Looking forward to what your release!

There's horribly named byzanz http://askubuntu.com/questions/107726/h ... 515#123515
But https://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/ might work better
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)