What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
HDPLocust
Citizen

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by HDPLocust »

incognito_mage wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 am I'm getting 300 fps drawing 10K 32x32 sprites every frame on a gtx 1050, so 3 million sprites per second. Do these numbers make sense or am I completely messing up something and I should be getting something like 3000 fps?
You can also make chunk system (it's easy), and cut off chunks out of screen. This method can make any fps you want.
Also you draw only one layer, if you want to separate background/grass/trees/characters etc, your fps will go down, and you will have to optimize a lot of stuff.
P.S. One shader can drop down fps from 9999kkk to 0.1, you know? :)
Science and violence
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

incognito_mage wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 am I'm getting 300 fps drawing 10K 32x32 sprites every frame on a gtx 1050, so 3 million sprites per second. Do these numbers make sense or am I completely messing up something and I should be getting something like 3000 fps?
HDPLocust wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:54 am You can also make chunk system (it's easy), and cut off chunks out of screen. This method can make any fps you want.
Also you draw only one layer, if you want to separate background/grass/trees/characters etc, your fps will go down, and you will have to optimize a lot of stuff.
P.S. One shader can drop down fps from 9999kkk to 0.1, you know? :)
I'll agree in that chunking, or at least only drawing those images that are on screen would be neat; 32000x32000 is a tad bigger than any screen or screens most people would have; also, not even the most hardcore bullet hell games create more than say, 40K bullets on-screen at the same time.

On the other hand, you'll never get more than 1000 FPS with the default love.run anyway, since it sleeps for 0.001 seconds each iteration (if you have vsync off), or more, depending on your screen's refresh rate, meaning the FPS will be a constant 60,75,120 or whatever else.

Also, shaders shouldn't be that big of an issue, if implemented correctly.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

I get 530 stable fps with 36864 tiles which are 32x16 with GT720 and a Core2Duo 3.00 gHz.
You can send me the .love file and I'll test it out on my system if you want.
I'm drawing 9 chunks (= 9 spritebatches) each one consisting of 4096 sprites.
Last edited by KayleMaster on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
incognito_mage
Prole

Post by incognito_mage »

I'm not sure I understand what chunking is, and a couple google searches don't seem help. Is it something I have to write, or does it just mean using SpriteBatches? Right now I'm using a single spritebatch for all those 10000 tiles (from a 1024x1024 tileset.png) and drawing it once per frame.
zorg wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm 32000x32000
it's 3200x3200, I think. 100x100 tiles, each 32x32. So it's close to a 4K screen.
zorg wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm On the other hand, you'll never get more than 1000 FPS with the default love.run anyway
I already added a custom love.run to my main.lua to make sure that didn't impact the measurement of my horrible code.
What's this? What's this? There's violas everywhere!
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

I sent you a pm, turns out you were clearing and adding the quads to the spriteBatch every frame AND doing that in love.draw, which is a no-no.
You're only supposed to do it once (unless you're gonna change the spritebatch).
incognito_mage
Prole

Post by incognito_mage »

Yeah, turns out I totally misunderstood spritebatches :P Thank you! Worked around it for today and I went from 300 to 4000 fps.
What's this? What's this? There's violas everywhere!
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

I know it doesn't look like much, but I got animations and classes and chunks and spritebatches and depth sorting to work all together and I don't know how I managed it.
bananpermobil
Prole

Post by bananpermobil »

Everyone is doing super cool stuff! I generally just lurk this thread, but because today I got sick of my current project (too open-ended!) so I thought I'd just share a screen at least.

It is kind of a point and click, with a bit of a different take. I really like confined spaces with a work-with-what-you've-got approach (FTL, Infinite Space, Dont Starve), but that shit is hard to get tight! I'll probably figure out a way to cut down the features so I can finish (you've got to finish!) Hard decisions ahead :death:

Here is a screen showing what you'll see when you start the game.
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 00.56.23.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 00.56.23.png (45.27 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

bananpermobil wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 am *post*
looks really promising. Too bad you got sick of it. :)
(you have to finish it !! *no pressure*)
bananpermobil
Prole

Post by bananpermobil »

MadByte wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 am
bananpermobil wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 am *post*
looks really promising. Too bad you got sick of it. :)
(you have to finish it !! *no pressure*)
Thanks! I'm adamant about finishing games, I believe you can not truly learn from it otherwise, as there is no result to put your experience in perspective. That doesn't mean I'll never put games on hold though..... :crazy: