What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Strela_999
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Strela_999 »

Right now I'm working on the backgrounds for my shoot'em up game. It's a classic "plane shoots planes" game, but with model kits fighting in homes, museums, hobby shops etc! Right now I'm working on the French levels, I'm touring without buying these flats in France (for free, thanks to the Internet for allowing me to visit places I couldn't afford in my lifetime!) to see how I should create a typically French interior. And I'm trying to code some decor interactions that would allow you, for example, to shoot at a glass of wine that'd then fall on enemy units and give you a points bonus!
Last edited by Strela_999 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

Sup? Here is something that looks as a game now.

PS We are looking for a nice artist for the stages and backgrounds.

Upd: Sorry for the music. I was listening to a radio. :joker:
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
megalukes
Citizen

Post by megalukes »

I haven't posted anything for a while, but I found this thing worth posting. I'm helping a friend with a small project and that's how it's going so far. https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/YKpKl8a.mp4
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

megalukes wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:10 am I haven't posted anything for a while, but I found this thing worth posting. I'm helping a friend with a small project and that's how it's going so far. https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/YKpKl8a.mp4
Nice. The graphic style reminds me of Dragon Force on the Saturn.
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com
Nelvin
Party member

Post by Nelvin »

Last week, our "team" (we're just two) met physically for the first time as we live about 600km away from each other. Had a great and pretty productive week.

One of the features we worked on, were trees/forest tiles. Now our forest tiles are implemented as a randomized layer of trees (random number, position and sprite variations). Our forest have a growth state increasing slowly over time (and so do our trees), foresttiles also randomly spread over to neighboring tiles and we also added some light/subtile colorization to the trees. Growth and spread speed is based on a fertility value of the tiles and everything combined, even though I just a did a bit of tweaking the numbers, already works surprisingly well.
So the focus on this screen is just a tiny settlement surrounded by forest areas.
2019-04-29_forest_small_settlement.jpg
2019-04-29_forest_small_settlement.jpg (418.01 KiB) Viewed 49145 times
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

D0NM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:54 pm Sup? Here is something that looks as a game now.

PS We are looking for a nice artist for the stages and backgrounds.

Upd: Sorry for the music. I was listening to a radio. :joker:
Looks really cool! I can hear you like Worakls, too.
yintercept
Citizen

Post by yintercept »

Brawler looks cool as shit. I'd buy it on a whim if it were on psn.

Would love to customize the playables and all the enemies.

Heads, hair, complexion, scars, jacket, pants, shoes, eyes, all of it.

Could make a mod to fight:
yakuza
mafia
50 midgets
20 blind nuns
and a patridge in a pair tree.

I want whole customizeable gangs of baddies.

Fuck I'm excited.
Back in the saddle again.
yintercept
Citizen

Post by yintercept »

Nelvin, looks like 1849 a bit. If you're not familiar it's a resource manager, where you ferry resources between buildings producing more and more complex resources.

If you're not familiar look it up. It's a little hard to find on google (owing to how common the number '1849' is), so you'll have to search "1849 game" to get the correct results but I think it will be worth it looking at it.

Also I'm really enamored by how well your UI is done. Lots of builders have crowded ugly UIs that prioritize all the wrong things. You've balanced simplicity, information richness, and contrast, among other things. UI is incredibly painful and difficult to get correct. Really good job.
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

yintercept wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:43 pmBrawler looks cool as shit. I'd buy it on a whim if it were on psn.
Glad you like it. :) Thanks for being supportive.
I'm working on it with Don.

"Customizable gangs of baddies" reminds me of Little Fighter 2. It has nice customizable battle modes. As far as characters are concerned, visually, the only thing that'd be easy to customize would be the color palettes. While the rest is not necessarily out of the question, let's first try to complete the game. :p

At the moment, all enemies can be played in debug mode, because we'll probably want to make them playable in one way or another later on, and because it makes testing easier.
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com
yintercept
Citizen

Post by yintercept »

I recognize you have limited art resources. I just saw it and thought "street fighter meets epic battle simulator" and it got hard af.

> At the moment, all enemies can be played in debug mode, because we'll probably want to make them playable in one way or another later on, and because it makes testing easier.

One thing I really love about games like Don't Starve is the gang of pigs or spiders you could recruit to follow you organically. I think it'd be cool to recruit other fighters as you play, building up a bigger and bigger team that do their own thing and assist you in fights. Like tomagotchi, but way more violent.