What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Sounds like a nice game with a unique concept though as for you're crown I think you a little to early for you're declaration :3
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

I have been playing with this city transport sim (procedural generation) for some time now. Not that I am working on it regularly, but rather trying to create aan engine that can simulate city transport. This include inhabitants having their goals (home-work, shopping, etc.) + transport options (walking, cycling, driving, riding a bus/metro etc.). There are also some transport hubs such as airports, train station, bus station that generate incoming and outgoing traffic.

So far I have a complete city generation + path finding etc. The engine is also able to load different scenarios, where you can set some parameters for simulation. If anyone wants to join regarding graphics/audio etc., just get in touch.
city transport sim
city transport sim
Screenshot_20210201_112044.png (44.04 KiB) Viewed 44981 times
MorbusKobold
Prole

Post by MorbusKobold »

Working on this Masterpiece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiPZ6_BJL8U

Messing around with Box2D. Learned it yesterday. Making progress so far and just trying to add as many Features before the Code blows up.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

dusoft wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 am This include inhabitants having their goals (home-work, shopping, etc.) + transport options (walking, cycling, driving, riding a bus/metro etc.). There are also some transport hubs such as airports, train station, bus station that generate incoming and outgoing traffic.

So far I have a complete city generation + path finding etc. The engine is also able to load different scenarios, where you can
set some parameters for simulation...
What type of AI do you plan to use? GOAP, state machine or something else?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:38 pm
dusoft wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 am This include inhabitants having their goals (home-work, shopping, etc.) + transport options (walking, cycling, driving, riding a bus/metro etc.). There are also some transport hubs such as airports, train station, bus station that generate incoming and outgoing traffic.

So far I have a complete city generation + path finding etc. The engine is also able to load different scenarios, where you can
set some parameters for simulation...
What type of AI do you plan to use? GOAP, state machine or something else?
No AI, just state machine-based behavior, i.e. based on the standard 9 to 5 scenario and their rush hours, most of the people would travel from their homes (this is generated at the start) to their work - industry/offices (similar) and back. Plus some transport to shops, fun etc.

I haven't heard about GOAP, I will investigate that option. Thanks.
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

dusoft wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 pm No AI, just state machine-based behavior, i.e. based on the standard 9 to 5 scenario and their rush hours, most of the people would travel from their homes (this is generated at the start) to their work - industry/offices (similar) and back. Plus some transport to shops, fun etc.

You could also go another route and do what simcity / micropolis did. Simulating traffic on (then) limited hardware meant some creative solutions. Traffic was modelled with a simple rule-based system, and the display of traffic leveraged simple cellular automata.

You can read about the micropolis implementation here. Switch to the master branch to see the source.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

kbmonkey wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:19 am
dusoft wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 pm No AI, just state machine-based behavior, i.e. based on the standard 9 to 5 scenario and their rush hours, most of the people would travel from their homes (this is generated at the start) to their work - industry/offices (similar) and back. Plus some transport to shops, fun etc.

You could also go another route and do what simcity / micropolis did. Simulating traffic on (then) limited hardware meant some creative solutions. Traffic was modelled with a simple rule-based system, and the display of traffic leveraged simple cellular automata.

You can read about the micropolis implementation here. Switch to the master branch to see the source.
Cool, thanks for that as well. I think I tried Micropolis long time ago.

I am more aiming for Mobility-style game, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobility_(video_game)
Just updated to 2020's with pedestrians, cycling as well as different public transport options etc. I am sure traffic simulation is CPU heavy, I tried increasing number of people as well as cars to thousands / tens of thounsands and it was slow. However, it is quite managable otherwise these days.
sisyphu2
Prole

Post by sisyphu2 »

I'm currently dabbling with an isometric turn based strategy game. Love has surprised me with how quickly I could realise the project.

For now my aim to build a fully working game that is an ultra simplified version of Civilization type games. I'd definitely be interested in anyone's views who enjoys 4x / strategy.

Once it's in a reasonable shape I'll post a screenshot.
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

Getting pretty close to being finished with this one. Here's a little look at what the levels in each chapter look like.

miaturner95
Prole

Post by miaturner95 »

currently learning the unreal engine, YouTube is my savior once again