Hi I'm new and I want to make a game :P

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
elydustin
Prole

Hi I'm new and I want to make a game :P

Post by elydustin »

Hello all, I'm new...duh.. but I wanted to post some info about what I want to do. I want to make a 2d puzzle/physics platform game. I am not entirely new to coding, used xhtml, html, css, actionscript 3, and basic, but I will be needing some help learning the Lua. I started at the wiki and have been reading as much I can lol, which is a lot because I have a lot of free time. I am an artist, not a coder, but I want to be able to be versatile in what I do and here's some of my game concept art! Tell me what you think.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: Hi I'm new and I want to make a game :P

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Hey! Welcome to the forums!

Well I'm glad to hear you're not completely new to programming. A good place to learn Lua is the online version of the programming in Lua book: http://www.lua.org/pil/index.html. I use this all the time, as I'm still quite new to the language myself. The forums is a friendly place with many people who are willing to help if you get stuck with something.

As for your art, I like it. It's got a nice style to it and pretty high quality (at least in my book). I wish you luck with making your game and can't wait to see what you come up with!
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

So pretty! I love the 2 tone palette.

Good luck learning Lua. It should be easy to pickup with prior programming experience.
elydustin
Prole

Post by elydustin »

Thanks you both for the welcome and the compliment :) I can't wait to really get my toes in the water with the coding.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi and welcome!

First of all, I like your art a lot. I'm seeing lots of "shadow-outlined" games lately.

Since you are very new to the language, I'd be interested in knowing your opinion about the tutorial I'm doing, which is targetted to newcomers. It's a work-in-progress (only about 40% done) for creating tile-based games. It can be found on github.

Regards!
When I write def I mean function.
Buddy4point0
Prole

Post by Buddy4point0 »

Hi there! I'm fairly new here too. I already knew how to program in lua when I started using love though.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you make.
If you need any help, post it here, or if you think that I specifically can help you send me a PM!
Last edited by Buddy4point0 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╚»ßuddy4point0 ■
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Welcome! Nice concept art!

The others told you pretty much everything you need to know, although I'd like to repeat: you can always ask any question here. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
elydustin
Prole

Post by elydustin »

kikito wrote: Since you are very new to the language, I'd be interested in knowing your opinion about the tutorial I'm doing, which is targetted to newcomers. It's a work-in-progress (only about 40% done) for creating tile-based games. It can be found on github.

Regards!

Hey thanks for the link! I am checking out the tutorial now and learning so much.