Request Programs

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
EMB
Citizen

Re: Request Programs

Post by EMB »

TechnoCat wrote:
EMB wrote:Upnp/port punching I don't quite see the point of; elaborate it's use and I may consider.
Achievements, that sounds fun.
If I make a small 2 player game that is over the internet, I don't want to force them to setup port-forwarding in their router to play a brief game.
kalle2990 wrote:
tentus wrote:Make an achievement sharing system for Love. Something that we could link up to our forum usernames would be the nicest.
+1 :)
This would indeed be epic.
I like this idea too, but it seems to be out of the scope of ordinary lovers.
Ahh, right. I'll put it on the list then, but it will probably be quite low in prioritie due to the complexity.
And on achievements, it wouldn't be out of scope if there was a centerally hosted point for them.
Request Programs
If Linux were a beer, it would be shipped in open barrels so that anybody could piss in it before delivery
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

EMB wrote:it wouldn't be out of scope if there was a centerally hosted point for them.
Precisely why I say it is.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

EMB thanks for starting this post as you just give me idea I know I am able to do for my Spit - E project :) epic thanks.
I have in the past made encripted message system that sends messages cross domains eg emb#ideaspark.ltd long as the
host had had the scripts to make it work lol but the app was unfinished and I feel I might have a use for it yay lol
:neko:
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

TechnoCat wrote:
EMB wrote:Upnp/port punching I don't quite see the point of; elaborate it's use and I may consider.
Achievements, that sounds fun.
If I make a small 2 player game that is over the internet, I don't want to force them to setup port-forwarding in their router to play a brief game.
kalle2990 wrote:
tentus wrote:Make an achievement sharing system for Love. Something that we could link up to our forum usernames would be the nicest.
+1 :)
This would indeed be epic.
I like this idea too, but it seems to be out of the scope of ordinary lovers.
I have been thinking about making an a.s.s. for a while, but wanted to get Kurosuke a bit further along before attempting it. I think that once I get more levels built up I may start looking into serious clientside implementation, I've already got moderately detailed player stats, stuff like a kill count and number of multiplayer losses.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The problem with achievement sharing is: what is holding anyone back from doing something like:

Code: Select all

for i, achievement in ipairs(ass.achievements) do
    ass.achieve(achievement)
    ass.send()
end
for pain in the(ass) do ...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:The problem with achievement sharing is: what is holding anyone back from doing something like:

ass.achieve(achievement)
    ass.send()
end
for pain in the(ass) do ...
I actually have achievement support in one of my (as of yet unreleased) games via OMG! I've decided to not even try to make it hard for the player to give themselves trophies, because in the end, all they would be doing is ruining the game for themselves. I don't care if someone gives themselves every trophy there is.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:I actually have achievement support in one of my (as of yet unreleased) games via OMG! I've decided to not even try to make it hard for the player to give themselves trophies, because in the end, all they would be doing is ruining the game for themselves. I don't care if someone gives themselves every trophy there is.
Very true, and I've thought about that myself. The only problem is the sharing: if some people game the game, it will make look everyone's achievements a whole lot less special. (OMG! doesn't share achievements, right?)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:
nevon wrote:I actually have achievement support in one of my (as of yet unreleased) games via OMG! I've decided to not even try to make it hard for the player to give themselves trophies, because in the end, all they would be doing is ruining the game for themselves. I don't care if someone gives themselves every trophy there is.
Very true, and I've thought about that myself. The only problem is the sharing: if some people game the game, it will make look everyone's achievements a whole lot less special. (OMG! doesn't share achievements, right?)
Correct. I'm not really big on the whole achievement collection thing myself, so I don't really see the "value" of an achievement as something that's dependent on other people not having it. But I suppose that could be the case for some (or many, I don't know) people.

But anyway, OMG! doesn't share achievements (yet), so in that case it's not really a problem.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

TechnoCat wrote:Make a pure-Lua IRC client library we can use for in-game chat lobbies.
https://github.com/JakobOvrum/LuaIRC
EMB
Citizen

Post by EMB »

thelinx wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:Make a pure-Lua IRC client library we can use for in-game chat lobbies.
https://github.com/JakobOvrum/LuaIRC
I think that you'll find that it won't work with LÖVE, although I may be wrong.
Robin wrote:The problem with achievement sharing is: what is holding anyone back from doing something like:

ass.achieve(achievement)
    ass.send()
end
Easy, authentication. Give each dev a password and make them submit it when sending achievment/highscore information.
Yes, I wouldn't suggest using it until binary merging has been fixed.
Request Programs
If Linux were a beer, it would be shipped in open barrels so that anybody could piss in it before delivery