Will there be a iPad version LÖVE?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Will there be a iPad version LÖVE?

Post by Jasoco »

I just Googled for Codify and am watching the video of it in action. And I recognize the song from the video as some "free to use" piece from some website. I used to have it. But can't remember where it came from. Heh.

Also, would be awesome if the Löve people worked together with the Codify people and created a single solution. Also, can Codify import projects via the iTunes Documents section of the Apps page? Seems that's what it should be used for. Is Codify worth $8? Anyone try it yet?
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I would like to mention my wrapper library LoveCodify here.

Using this wrapper you can run Codify scripts on your Mac/Linux/Windows using Love2D runtime.

Thread:
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39107#p39107

Git:
https://github.com/SiENcE/lovecodify
bortels
Prole

Post by bortels »

I can second using Codify on the iPad - with the loveCodify wrapper, you can do a ton of stuff (not everything, obviously) that you can do in LÖVE, with more on the way. LÖVE is very much a superset of Codify functionality right now, so going from Codify to LÖVE works well. I would also mention that the Codify community largely uses what's already working in LÖVE and processing as a kind of roadmap for what we're asking from the Devs in the future, so they should presumably converge as time moves on.

It is *NOT* LÖVE on the iPad - but for now, it's the closest I've seen to it, and it's a lot better than nothing.

As for programming on the iPad itself - there are certainly drawbacks, but there are also big bonuses. I was in a hospital waiting room last week for 2 hours, and there's no way I could have done anything with a laptop - but the iPad worked fine. It's small enough it's with me most of the time when I want to mess around with something and am not where I can do sit with a computer, which turns out to be surprisingly often. A good portion of coding, at least in my experience, isn't full-on typing - it's tweaking little bits, and staring at the code trying to understand why something isn't working the way you want - and that all works dandy on the iPad.

As for not being able to import/export code - yes, and no. Cut and Paste is crude, but it works, and for savvy users there are a few ways to move code back and forth - I jailbroke my iPad, and just rsync. Others use clients like iExplorer to copy the documents back and forth. It turns out to be annoying, but less so than you imagine it might be, and this is another thing that should change in an upcoming release (Apple willing).

-- Tom Bortels
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Hopefully one day there will be a Universal Löve for iOS like there will be for Android. It might at first require JailBreak until the kinks are worked out to the point it can work like Codify and load projects from the memory. (Using iOS' built-in file sandbox each app is allowed to have)

Pipe dreams. Hopefully they become real one day.

For now you can do some pretty damn cool stuff with JavaScript/CSS and HTML5 on the iPad if you are proficient enough. Apple even provides a JavaScript Touch API and you can turn a web site into an app so you can make a JavaScript game that runs really well and uses the full screen. There are already a bunch of SDK's out there to do this if you don't feel like starting from scratch. There's even JavaScript Box2d libraries.

But I'd still love Löve on the iPad because it would just be so much easier.