LÖVE Formats

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Dvondrake
Prole

Re: LÖVE Formats

Post by Dvondrake »

---
Last edited by Dvondrake on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

if it's natively supported by DevIL, why not, but at least the crappy .bmp format should be forbidden, as it's not compressed and optimised at all.
And if SDL sound supports mp3, so why not keeping it. (and .wav should be forbidden like .bmp because .flac is a better alternative)
I didn't know those 2 libraries could handle so many file formats.
1stAnd10
Prole

Post by 1stAnd10 »

I'm happy with the most popular formats.
Dvondrake
Prole

Post by Dvondrake »

---
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Dvondrake wrote:Why the hell do you want to restrict people to certain formats? That's completely illogical. Just let us use whatever works with SDL and DevIL.
Very, well. I will tell you why the HELL HELL HELL (space-echo) we would want to discuss this.

Some users suggest that LÖVE be ported to other devices, such as Wii, and some developers (tido) have expressed interest in doing so. By restricting LÖVE to less formats, it will be much easier to port relevant libraries. For instance, porting just libpng and libjpeg probably requires no effort (and it's probably done by someone already), while supporting all formats DevIL supports may be unfeasible. The same goes for SDL_sound; libogg + libflac versus an avalanche of various formats.

This is why the HELL HELL HELL I wanted to hear people's opinions about this, and yes, it has been very useful.

The result will probably be that computer platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOSX) will support "everything", while Wii, Pandora, etc will only support (a minimum of) ogg, flac, png and jpg.

It is unclear if or when a Wii/Pandora-version will be developed. Something that may happen in the distant future should not limit what LÖVE can do today. *gazing into horizon.
phil
Prole

Post by phil »

This is an interesting question, how many image formats a game engine needs? Technically speaking, one format is enough, just "save as" your artwork in this format and you'll be fine.
On the other hand, to port to Nintendo platforms you need to be a registered Nintendo developer, so you can get the devkit. Unless we're talking homebrew, but what's the point, you can't sell unlicensed homebrew games?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Sardtok wrote:It doesn't even say in their license, just their price page? That's farking retarded.
I´m sorry for turning this thread more from its course, but I believe that even the "they" (MP3 patent owners) is not clear.

Wikipedia´s MP3 article contains a Licensing and patent issues section. Here´s its summary:
In short, with Thomson, Fraunhofer IIS, Sisvel (and its U.S. subsidiary Audio MPEG), Texas MP3 Technologies, and Alcatel-Lucent all claiming legal control of relevant MP3 patents related to decoders, the legal status of MP3 remains unclear in countries where those patents are valid.
PS:
Dvondrake wrote:Why the hell do you want to restrict people to certain formats?
1. To make the choice easier for people who don´t know anything about formats.
2. To impose the opinion about what format is best on the users. (I think I´m joking here) :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

also to prevent people to use bmp just because it's the native format of windows paint.
Dvondrake
Prole

Post by Dvondrake »

---
Tabasco
Citizen

Post by Tabasco »

Dvondrake wrote:Why not just leave everything as an option for PC, but restrict the ones you don't feel like porting for the Wii?
rude wrote:The result will probably be that computer platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOSX) will support "everything", while Wii, Pandora, etc will only support (a minimum of) ogg, flac, png and jpg.