Some help with game.love+love.exe = game.exe

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Kuromeku
Party member

Some help with game.love+love.exe = game.exe

Post by Kuromeku »

Hey there rude, is it possible to make it so that, um. I don't know how to explain it. Imagine this:

Inside the game.exe:
main.lua
libraries/

Outside the game.exe
entities/
game/

But if you include anything in entities or game/ from main.lua and it isn't found inside the game.exe then it searches in the folder outside of the game.exe?

So we can have people make little modifications for our games, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

OH: and is it possible to change the icon of the game.exe?

Thank you!
rude
Administrator

Re: Some help with game.love+love.exe = game.exe

Post by rude »

That is not possible in 0.5.0, but it should be simple enough to add.

There might be one (potential) security risk we should consider, though. Files will indeed only be looked for outside the folder if it is not found inside the exe, but, if two folders exists with the same name in both places, the contents will be merged (files from inside exe takes precedence in case of conflicts). This means that love.filesystem.enumerate will return a list of files from both folders. Most likely, this will not be a problem, but we should be aware of it.

Yes, it's possible to change the icon, but you'll have to use some special app for now. The plan is to include a small tool which does this in the future.

In any case, I'm adding your suggestion to the task list, unless anyone has objections.
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Thank you rude, you've been great help as usual.

;)
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Is it possible to make a single .exe that has everything, including the LOVE engine and the .love files? I know how to embed everything into a single executable on mac but not sure if it is possible (or even ever done with other software) on windows or linux.
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

appleide wrote:Is it possible to make a single .exe that has everything, including the LOVE engine and the .love files?
I'm not sure I understand but http://love2d.org/docs/GameDistribution.html.

Tested on Debian GNU/Linux and Windows XP SP2.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

appleide wrote:Is it possible to make a single .exe that has everything, including the LOVE engine and the .love files? I know how to embed everything into a single executable on mac but not sure if it is possible (or even ever done with other software) on windows or linux.
No, because LGPL'd DLLs must be user-updatable, and thus can't be embedded into the binary.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

rude wrote:
appleide wrote:Is it possible to make a single .exe that has everything, including the LOVE engine and the .love files? I know how to embed everything into a single executable on mac but not sure if it is possible (or even ever done with other software) on windows or linux.
No, because LGPL'd DLLs must be user-updatable, and thus can't be embedded into the binary.
Maybe this could be done if the exe itself could be updated with new dlls? Something like a self-running archive? I don't know if such formats exists, but if yes it might be the minimal solution.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

You might be able to get around it with the argument that you can run the created executables with the löve installed, totally ignoring the inbuilt löve (and the dll's I guess). Don't know the exact terms of the license, but this might be enough.

EDIT: I just thought (while pressing submit :P) that there must be a way (especially in Linux) to use your own libs, however I guess this isn't what the guys that made the LGPL were thinking of.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

bartbes wrote:You might be able to get around it with the argument that you can run the created executables with the löve installed, totally ignoring the inbuilt löve (and the dll's I guess). Don't know the exact terms of the license, but this might be enough.

EDIT: I just thought (while pressing submit ) that there must be a way (especially in Linux) to use your own libs, however I guess this isn't what the guys that made the LGPL were thinking of.
That's pretty clever, actually. :D It would probably cause a conflict, though.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Hmm.. I might need to remove the post, if I don't want to find my house as a burning mess...
*searching anonimity (wait, is that a word?)*