Some help with game.love+love.exe = game.exe

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
rude
Administrator

Re: Some help with game.love+love.exe = game.exe

Post by rude »

Wait a minute ...
LPGL §5 wrote: A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this License.
Wikipedia wrote: Essentially, it must be possible for the software to be linked with a newer version of the LGPL-covered program. The most commonly used method for doing so is to use "a suitable shared library mechanism for linking". Alternatively, a statically linked library is allowed if either source code or linkable object files are provided.
The LÖVE source code is freely available, so I guess that means we CAN link everything into one huge exe. This applies mainly to Windows/MacOSX, though, as it would not go down very well in most repositories.

EDIT: rephrased.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Some help with game.love+love.exe = game.exe

Post by bartbes »

Hmm.. wikipedia is a bit more vague on that, however, the license itself is clear, it's allowed!!!!!! ^^
About the linux part.. I'll start searching info about ld (the dynamic linker), there might be some switch/environment variable that allows to switch from internal to external libs.

EDIT: Haven't found it yet.. I'll try searching again when I have the time.