New to Lua - tutorials

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Wulfie
Prole

New to Lua - tutorials

Post by Wulfie »

Code: Select all

I spent a few hours last night scouring the web reading up on some lua stuff. I came across some reasonably well done tutorials about the basics of Lua. The one down side is they are all for use on PSP home brew. My new personal task is now to use these and other lua/love examples and build a very simple to understand tutorial. Since I am new to Lua, I will write these as I learn, so they should be less technical and more K.I.S.S. 

I am thinking to play on the theme of love and write a nice tutorial of the basics through building a small game. My working title will be "The Book of Love". 

Look for some basic tutorials soon, and probably questions as I go along.

This will be my way of giving back to what I feel is a helpful community and a great porject.
After scouring the forums and finding links to the neither regions of the web I have found that most of the info I was looking for is out there already. I will like to change this thread to be a place for people to post links to their already made tutorials, or other tuts that they have the permission to post links to. If we can get some links together from everyone I would be more than happy to organize them and post them to the wiki under "User contributed tutorials". There is a lot of great knowledge out there, yet right now it takes some time to locate.

If this for any reason this doesnt sound like a good idea, then just swap me on the nose with a news paper and I will run along to my other projects

^,,^
Wulfie
Last edited by Wulfie on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." -- Unknown
Anxiety
Prole

Re: New to Lua - tutorials

Post by Anxiety »

I can't come up with a good signature!
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

The wiki isn't great for complete newbies (it's fine for people who have been programming for a little while at least, well it was for me anyway).

But anyway, some easy to understand tutorials for newbies would be most welcome! So go ahead.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I believe that the key to teaching people new to programming is all in the specific wording used by the teacher. If you can explain everything using no 'jargon' whatsoever and then gradually build up the technical level of conversation, I reckon that's a good start.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Wulfie
Prole

Post by Wulfie »

Lafolie wrote:I believe that the key to teaching people new to programming is all in the specific wording used by the teacher. If you can explain everything using no 'jargon' whatsoever and then gradually build up the technical level of conversation, I reckon that's a good start.
That is exactly it. The wiki and forum are great learning tools. The wiki has some good tutorials, yet there are some good topics that are not listed as they are not part of Love2d Vanilla. The forums have some fantastic examples and walk throughs, however you have to really dig for some of them. Some of the tuts out there need a decoder ring to figure out what it is doing. Typically I can look at code and figure out what it is supposed to do, its when and explanation of what it does uses a bunch of jargon that I get lost.

My thought is to have almost like a Love2d course beginner through advanced. As I learn and read I will work on gathering this info to one location for any one to use share and build on. of course the tuts, sources, examples, etc that would all be included would be zlib just like Love.

So far I have a good outline together for the beginner section and thoughts on more advanced stuff. I am a little slow on getting the first tuts and examples out as I started playing around with tilemapper and got involved in working with that. I don't have ADHD its just ... oh look a dime.. lol

Anyway, I am planning to start working on some stuff this weekend.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." -- Unknown
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I have spent years learning programming through self-teaching methods. My biggest problem was having to read tutorials written by people who got off on the fact that they knew more than a "newbie". Even though there are whole-hearted tutorials around, they are often full of incomprehensible language to some people. Having a real person to talk to and ask questions is immensely useful. Unfortunately that isn't always available when you are teaching yourself to code. That said, the Löve IRC channel is brilliant. The guys on there have helped me immensely. But when it come to scriptures, I honestly think that the most simple, entropic way of teaching is the best for programming. It is an incredibly abstract concept, and getting your head around it can be difficult.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
akima
Prole

Post by akima »

BlackBulletIV wrote:The wiki isn't great for complete newbies (it's fine for people who have been programming for a little while at least, well it was for me anyway).

But anyway, some easy to understand tutorials for newbies would be most welcome! So go ahead.
There's something not quite right about your avatar. I just can't quite place what it is. (^_~)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

akima wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:The wiki isn't great for complete newbies (it's fine for people who have been programming for a little while at least, well it was for me anyway).

There's something not quite right about your avatar. I just can't quite place what it is. (^_~)
Ooh! Ooh! My. Kotter! I know what it is!! Ooh! Ooh!