Big tilemaps

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Anxiety
Prole

Big tilemaps

Post by Anxiety »

(Sorta related to http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2856)

Anyways, i know how to make a tilemap which is, eg: 20X20. But it sucks. So what i want to know, is how can i make a big tilemap? Lets say, 50X50 or 70X70 or maybe even 100X100.

One thing i have been thinking (very unlikely to work) is to make a picture of the map. Then use quads to split it in pieces sized as one tile. Then generate the map on those tiles.
I can't come up with a good signature!
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Big tilemaps

Post by Robin »

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Do you mean 100x100 different tiles? Or just a map with 100x100 tiles?

The former is huge (10,000 tiles?), the latter should be perfectly doable.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
zugamifk
Prole

Post by zugamifk »

I have a (buggy) tile based rpg I've been working on. It uses a 100x100 tile map, with each tile as a separate object that carries quite a few values. The general memory usage while running is around 100MB. This is just me testing worst case scenarios though, you should be able to run a map with much less.
Attachments
Gaia.love
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 232 times
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

zugamifk wrote:I have a (buggy) tile based rpg I've been working on. It uses a 100x100 tile map, with each tile as a separate object that carries quite a few values. The general memory usage while running is around 100MB. This is just me testing worst case scenarios though, you should be able to run a map with much less.
Interesting little game, I'd love to see a more polished version! Specifically, if you could fix the PO2 issues that'd go a long way... also, you can cut a quarter meg from your .love just by deleting the thumbs files.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
zugamifk
Prole

Post by zugamifk »

Yeah, this is a working version, I didn't really take the time to clean it up. I'm actively working on it though, so hopefully I can have some kind of release soon...