Ludum Dare #20

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
BarnD
Prole

Ludum Dare #20

Post by BarnD »

Anyone planning on entering the Ludum Dare compo (or jam)?
Starts in less than 10 days (countdown on the site).

I plan to, and hopefully i have the time to.
Even though I still suck at making games, even if the game will be just some dude jumping in the middle of the screen with the theme of the game in the background I will still try to enter. :rofl:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Ludum Dare #20

Post by Lafolie »

Same here. I'm well up for giving this a go. Probably gonna enter solo and fail, but if I can somehow manage to get my genius friend to learn Lua in the next week, I might enter the Jam.

No idea if I have the technical ability to pull this off, but it's worth a try eh?

Edit: Check out some of the themes for #20
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
BarnD
Prole

Post by BarnD »

Lafolie wrote:No idea if I have the technical ability to pull this off, but it's worth a try eh?
Yeah, also Im quite sure my game will turn out worse.. :P
Yeah I have, I think exactly a week before it starts they open a voting thing where you you vote for theme you want.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Yeah, check out the rules page if you're unsure. Get yourself registered so you can vote :P
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Have fun, and good luck! I don't know if the LÖVE PARTY will spring into action, but I doubt it.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I might enter. But do I REALLY have to post what I'm using as base code as a blog?
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

The rules for the main LD event are:
You must work alone (solo).
All game code and content must be created within the 48 hours.
Games must be based on the theme.
All libraries, middleware, content creation, and development tools are allowed.
Source code must be included.
If you enter the Jam event, you get an extra 24 hours and source is optional. If you're using Löve the source is obtainable anyway. Or were you planning on using a different framework?

In either case, I don't really see what's to be worried about. If you wanna use the game/sell it or something after the competition has ended, you can stop sending out the source code.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:Have fun, and good luck! I don't know if the LÖVE PARTY will spring into action, but I doubt it.
Of course I cannot be trusted.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Lafolie wrote:The rules for the main LD event are:
You must work alone (solo).
All game code and content must be created within the 48 hours.
Games must be based on the theme.
All libraries, middleware, content creation, and development tools are allowed.
Source code must be included.
If you enter the Jam event, you get an extra 24 hours and source is optional. If you're using Löve the source is obtainable anyway. Or were you planning on using a different framework?

In either case, I don't really see what's to be worried about. If you wanna use the game/sell it or something after the competition has ended, you can stop sending out the source code.
No it's not the source code I'm worried about. I've built up an organisational/helper library in LOVE that I'd want to use (I tell ya, it makes things a lot quicker and cleaner, especially for physics-based stuff). They say that personal libraries are alright, but they also say that I should post it as a blog there before the competition. I don't really want to go to the trouble of doing that, so I was wondering, is it absolutely necessary? I assume that my library is fine, because FlashPunk is. For LOVE, Flash is similar to LOVE, and FlashPunk is similar to my library.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

BlackBulletIV wrote:I've built up an organisational/helper library in LOVE that I'd want to use (I tell ya, it makes things a lot quicker and cleaner, especially for physics-based stuff). They say that personal libraries are alright, but they also say that I should post it as a blog there before the competition. I don't really want to go to the trouble of doing that, so I was wondering, is it absolutely necessary? I assume that my library is fine, because FlashPunk is. For LOVE, Flash is similar to LOVE, and FlashPunk is similar to my library.
I don't see the problem. Just do it. It takes like 10 minutes.