Future features

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
mike
Administrator

Re: Future features

Post by mike »

PopCap.. that's those fuckers who made millions of dollars off making games like Bejewled (and Bejewled 2, as if that concept needed more lens flares), right?
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

alxs wrote: 1. Even if most of your tutorials are run in a window the game switches to the full-screen mode for some reason on start and exit (the whole screen goes black for a moment). This is VERY annoying.
2. Alt-F4 doesn't close the window.
3. It would be very nice to have both windowed and full-screen modes that can be toggled by Alt-Enter or Maximize button.
4. Some kind of protection is a must for commercial games (licence keys, nag screens, encryption, etc).
5. Zipped format for games is great, but not so good while you are developing. Is there alternative way to run the games? Like a folder?
6. GUI interface to auto-detect all .love games and display them with their thumbnails. Ability to run any of detected games.
7. Do you need any help with development? I think I could spend some time on it...
  1. Are you using DisneyOS? I've never come across this problem.
  2. True. This must be fixed. Will probably replace ESC at some point.
  3. It's planned. Unfortunately, it involves reloading all textures, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.
  4. Feel free to make suggestions as to how we should do this, but it will probably not get a high priority. Let's face it: commercial game developers will not use LÖVE at this point anyway.
  5. I've also thought about this. Could perhaps make it possible to open main.lua in LÖVE directly. I usually use the drag-and-drop technique suggested my Merkoth.
  6. We had one of those, but it was removed before the first release. (Check out ancient screenshots). Might return some day, probably as a "Recently opened games" list.
  7. Help would be much löved, but I simply have no time to introduce you to the code, the system or anything right now (university: death). In what way do you want to contribute? If you want to develop a new major feature, that can probably be arranged, but we need to really agree on the interface first.
  8. Excellent avatar. 8-)
alxs wrote: Ok, let's wait for the Big Boss and see what he has to say...
"Call me Snake".
alxs wrote: Oh, I thought you were both equal "partners" here
We kind of are ... although I refuse to accept "partner"; it somehow has a homosexual ring to it. ^.^
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

rude wrote:3. It's planned. Unfortunately, it involves reloading all textures, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.
It's really simple to implement though, even I've implemented that in Starcruiser Classic, even if all I've done is graphics code more or less.
rude wrote:We kind of are ... although I refuse to accept "partner"; it somehow has a homosexual ring to it. ^.^
You're outgaying your project. Stop it.

And Mike,
the bitmap font system is really clever, myself I use an xml file to set up the kerning, but no pairs have been set up, I might want to think about that.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
alxs
Prole

Post by alxs »

mike wrote:PopCap.. that's those fuckers who made millions of dollars off making games like Bejewled (and Bejewled 2, as if that concept needed more lens flares), right?
Hey, why all this hatred???

PopCap are nice guys, they made their engine and source code freely available and if they make money - good for them! I think you understand that without money any project will suck. Look at all the current OpenSource projects! 99 percent of them suck and suck big.

I am also pro-open-and-"free"-software. But the current problem is how to arrange a valid incentives scheme for authors. I had to discontinue some projects of mine in the past because there were not enough financial incentives (it was cracked and made "free", for example). If you think that piracy is somehow "good" and that it is panacea - you're wrong. We need to change the current economic model for "information" products, but not via more and more piracy and not via more and more OpenSource.

[self-moderation ON]
Sorry, this is off-topic here :)
[self-moderation OFF]
Alex
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

rude wrote:NEVER! The first one who stays on topic gets banned!
Ahem.

Insaniquarium was fun. I'm sure PopCap have made a lot of crap as well, but they are skilled at making addictive 2D-puzzle games. Plus, their games are dead-cheap if I remember correctly, and available through Steam.
alxs
Prole

Post by alxs »

rude wrote:
  1. Are you using DisneyOS? I've never come across this problem.
  2. True. This must be fixed. Will probably replace ESC at some point.
  3. It's planned. Unfortunately, it involves reloading all textures, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.
  4. Feel free to make suggestions as to how we should do this, but it will probably not get a high priority. Let's face it: commercial game developers will not use LÖVE at this point anyway.
  5. I've also thought about this. Could perhaps make it possible to open main.lua in LÖVE directly. I usually use the drag-and-drop technique suggested my Merkoth.
  6. We had one of those, but it was removed before the first release. (Check out ancient screenshots). Might return some day, probably as a "Recently opened games" list.
  7. Help would be much löved, but I simply have no time to introduce you to the code, the system or anything right now (university: death). In what way do you want to contribute? If you want to develop a new major feature, that can probably be arranged, but we need to really agree on the interface first.
  8. Excellent avatar. 8-)
We kind of are ... although I refuse to accept "partner"; it somehow has a homosexual ring to it. ^.^
Woof, so you're not gays! That's a relief :)
Yeah, "partner in löve" sounds not right...
  1. I've never even heard of such OS. I am using Windows XP SP2 and ATI graphics card.
  2. Good to hear.
  3. That's not hard to implement. Again, the PopCap framework I believe works this way :)
  4. Why is that? I'd like to try to sell some of my (future) games.
  5. If the current version understands a folder as a command-line parameter - that's enough.
  6. Well, everybody is doing this in some form or another, and I believe it's the future. Also your current architecture is just created for it! All you need is an internet downloading function, some GUI written in the same engine and that's it!
  7. Well, I am a programmer, my design skills are very limited, so - writing some code. I have no problems with agreeing first, I do understand the importance of a man with a vision behind any project who will be in charge. That's one of the reasons why most OpenSource projects suck - there is no Big Boss there.
  8. Thanx. Though I don't understand its meaning :) Why everybody puts "Obey" in their avatars?
Just this morning I had an idea - I could try to rewrite the PopCap's tool for font generation (it sucks and probably licensed).

It will take any font installed in Windows and create a raster image with embedded information about widths and kernings and alpha, etc. A single file with some lövely extension, that will then be loaded into löve. For those of you who don't have Windows or don't want to use the kerning pairs and other stuff - we can write a simple converter that will take a simple raster image and convert it into the new format.

What do you people think about that?
Alex
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

alxs wrote:6. GUI interface to auto-detect all .love games and display them with their thumbnails. Ability to run any of detected games.
rude wrote:We had one of those, but it was removed before the first release. (Check out ancient screenshots). Might return some day, probably as a "Recently opened games" list.
If I could say my opinion, I'd say "I don't want it". I like it as it is as an interpreter. I can compress love directory to zip and sand it as a game to my friend. There are lots of nice game launchers for MAME. Everybody can make the same for Löve. If i's necessary please do it as an external application.

This is my opinion.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
alxs
Prole

Post by alxs »

Green_Hell wrote:If I could say my opinion, I'd say "I don't want it". I like it as it is as an interpreter. I can compress love directory to zip and sand it as a game to my friend. There are lots of nice game launchers for MAME. Everybody can make the same for Löve. If i's necessary please do it as an external application.
What I mean is GUI will be activated ONLY if no game is specified.

If you want to use it just as an interpreter - that's fine! You specify the name of your file directly and there it goes.

But if you run lOve without any game specified it should show you GUI with all available games. Even for all your tutorials it would be nice!
Currently you have to go to Start for each tutorial, or use the command line. That's not really user-friendly.
Alex
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

alxs wrote:
Green_Hell wrote:If I could say my opinion, I'd say "I don't want it". I like it as it is as an interpreter. I can compress love directory to zip and sand it as a game to my friend. There are lots of nice game launchers for MAME. Everybody can make the same for Löve. If i's necessary please do it as an external application.
What I mean is GUI will be activated ONLY if no game is specified.

If you want to use it just as an interpreter - that's fine! You specify the name of your file directly and there it goes.

But if you run lOve without any game specified it should show you GUI with all available games. Even for all your tutorials it would be nice!
Currently you have to go to Start for each tutorial, or use the command line. That's not really user-friendly.
I understand but I still think the external application is better solution. Let small applications do their work and do it best.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
alxs
Prole

Post by alxs »

Green_Hell wrote:I understand but I still think the external application is better solution. Let small applications do their work and do it best.
I don't see any arguments :)

Why exactly do you think it's a bad solution?

BTW, anybody created already a small banner "Made with Löve" to be placed in games for this engine? :)
Or as an award for really nice games, that really made with love?
Alex