Future features

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
mike
Administrator

Re: Future features

Post by mike »

SCIBOTIC wrote:Also I mentioned the project in #ludumdare and a few of them were quite displeased with the fact you guys using delta timing and leave no resources for other processes.
I am very much a n00b when it comes to development, but what is so wrong with using delta timing? I remember back in the day when I made a game without any form of timer... it worked well on my laptop but was total shit everywhere else.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
SCIBOTIC
Prole

Post by SCIBOTIC »

Only issue is without a maximum frame rate of some sort, it will run as fast as it can, meaning it uses all the processing power it can get its hands on.
If the user is only going to see 60fps what's the point of processing 500+fps and using up the resources that would otherwise go to other processes?
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

Aha, I can see how that could be a problem.
THE MORE YOU KNOW! :geek:
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

What about löve as a ScreenSaver? :? I don't know exactly how to do it, but I think it'd be great have for example demos as a screensaver. On the other hand, I think it isn't so important.

Sorry just a little brainstorm. :geek:
>>I love LÖVE.<<
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Hehe, yeah sure. I don't remember if it's possible to run .exe-files as screen savers, or if you have to make .scr-files or whatever. Sea Otter screen saver would be perfect. (See "Epic demo"-thread).
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

Windows screen savers (.scr) are just regular exes. The only requirement is to catch a few parameters:

-c or /c -> show config dialog
-s or /s -> run the screensaver
-a or /a -> password verification
-p or /p -> preview mode

I'm writing this from memory, so these parameters might be actually different. Moreover, this all depends on the version of Windows you're using, IIRC there were a few extra steps for the Win 9X branch, but I'm not sure. Don't ask me about Vista :P
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I see ... shouldn't be so hard, then. Not going to make it first priority, though. There are more useful things to get done first. Like ponies.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

mike wrote:We did have that [a console] before, ne? But it was removed when things were revamped and I must admit that I miss it...
That we did ...
Any suggestions as to which key should make the console appear? Or should we leave that to the user with love.console:setVisible(true)? (or love.system)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

rude wrote:(or love.system)
love.system should come. Suggested new features is:
  • love.system:showConsole()/hideConsole() ( perhaps just toggleConsole() ?)
  • love.system:quit() (so that people can use Esc for whatever they want)
Rude, perhaps we should converse here instead of over Skype when discussing new features and changes? The people have a right to make suggestions and come with input... or not.. I love totalitarianism (when I am the führer :twisted: )
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

No need to *always* use the forum ... not everything is interesting for everyone. So you can keep enjoying being der führer.