LÖVE! On an iPod touch?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Kuromeku
Party member

LÖVE! On an iPod touch?

Post by Kuromeku »

Sorry if you just got a boner, I'm actually asking if it's possible.
appleide
Party member

Re: LÖVE! On an iPod touch?

Post by appleide »

It's certainly technically possible, and I was going to look into it myself; but I've found out Apple isn't going to let any applications with "interpreted code" to be on the App Store. see: http://mcdevzone.com/2008/03/07/iphone- ... trictions/
An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).
Though I wonder if we could just port the interpreter to ipod touch without releasing it on the App Store, and then us individual love enthusiasts could bundle out .lua code with the interpreter and release that instead on the App Store; Yes it might mean each touch has multiple love, but its definitely something to ponder.
Lord Tim
Prole

Post by Lord Tim »

Oh man. I would love this so much.

Though, I wonder what the exact limits are on "interpreted code". I mean, I've got an app called "Stanza" that basically allows you to download books in the form of text files from anywhere you want. Lua files aren't that far from plain text. And if you were really nice to the Apple people, and let them impose all the restrictions they wanted on file I/O, I could see this happening.
Borsty
Citizen

Post by Borsty »

Hmm, the PSP lua thingy guy already ported his "engine" to the iPod touch/ iPhone:
http://apple.qj.net/Lua-v5-1-3-for-iPho ... aid/112780

So why not do the same with löve :roll:
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

I can't figure out how to download that Lua thing and put it on my jailbroken touch :/

And, is there any docs for it?
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I've been doing some iPhone development this semester, and I will never go NEAR it again.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

rude wrote:I've been doing some iPhone development this semester, and I will never go NEAR it again.
Got a blog or something where we can read your rant on why iPhone dev sucks? Just curious.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Voker57
Prole

Post by Voker57 »

And if you were really nice to the Apple people, and let them impose all the restrictions they wanted on file I/O...
says it all about iPhone development.
Borsty
Citizen

Post by Borsty »

It's apple, lol.