Game Contest 2008

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
osgeld
Party member

Re: Game Contest 2008

Post by osgeld »

heres a quickie planet (like less than 2 min)

a ui layout from a psp homebrew program im active with (irshell)

a interface i made for a voting program i wrote in sl (along with some misc textures and genetic artwork i sell there)

and im more than capable of

grabbing pd models off of turbosquid and making simple sprites out of them
realtime special effects (to a point and limited to my knowledge of love)
and all kinds of pre rendered special effects

+ i have sfxr lol so i can make all the old crunchy sfx anyone ever needed
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

appleide: what's your status regarding interest in making a MoO remake and at all competing in the competition?

I have thought about MoO2 (only MoO I played) and think it would be impossible to do a 1:.95 clone in two months, alone because of AI programming and balancing. A network-only MoO I can not imagine to be much fun (see this review).

A 4X Space TBS could be done I think, but with much less features than MoO2.

cag, osgeld: do you have interest in contributing to a 4x space TBS game?

EDIT: have you two ever played Master of Orion 2? You can dip into it's gameplay by looking at/reading some of this MoO2 screenshot LP. As for music, it's here. (And it's awesome!)

By the way, qonk is an example of a minimal princes of the universe game. [x86_64 gnu/linux build] Real-time, however.

PS: I didn't know there were public domain models on turbosquid.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

yes i do have interest, if im needed in my abilitys

no i have not played any of the moo games, when the first 2 came out i really had no interest in those style of games, by the time i did we were playing civ, or simmilar, but i did do a deep read tru, and its something thats interesting, but deep on a logic level, were going to need some dedicated people to pull this off, but having a definite deadline is helpful in that regard
cag
Citizen

Post by cag »

I'll be willing to score the soundtrack if there's a dedicated and proficient coder available for this project.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

oh i also have tons of webspace / bandwidth to use as a central workspace

ive set up a ton of them over the years for various projects, weather i was involved in them or not
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I will create one or two designs in this month. I believe I will ony be free for following this project idea next year, however.

I think the only realistic way is to do a far less complex game than MOO2.

Oh and I have to figure out how to register.

Name suggestions welcome! (4x space game inspired by Moo. Please no "free", "open", "love" (unless you can provide a complete design ;) ), "master of..." :)

This is no fixed project and nobody is expected to do anything so far. Just an experiment for now, eh?
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Mr. Strange
Party member

Post by Mr. Strange »

Although I won't be participating in this, I've had the idea of trying to get folks from this group to merge into a independent development team. I'll be interested to see how much people enjoy the experience.

--Mr. Strange
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

qud: I never did add a 2 to the end of "moo". :)

I went to visit my relatives in china but didnt bring my macbook (you know, with thieves and stuff) and any internet connection going in/out of the country is slooowww. took me half an hour to log in to my uni's website to get my exam results. >< I didn't bring a laptop so I haven't worked anything yet. I'll come out with a prototype in one week and you guys can decided whether to join me or not then :) .
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

appleide wrote:I went to visit my relatives in china but didnt bring my macbook (you know, with thieves and stuff) and any internet connection going in/out of the country is slooowww. took me half an hour to log in to my uni's website to get my exam results. >< I didn't bring a laptop so I haven't worked anything yet. I'll come out with a prototype in one week and you guys can decided whether to join me or not then :) .
even better! :D

about moo2: I never played moo1 :(
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

you missed out :( best moo ever.