API Wars

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
rude
Administrator

Re: API Wars

Post by rude »

@osgeld: Yeah, if you can tell me how. Using /subsystem:console in Visual Studio has the effect that you want, but it also causes the console to appear when running games by double-clicking, which is very undesirable.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Question.

Are there any plans to include some support for Tiled's map files? The LOVE way of doing things seems to be via mostly opaque objects (full userdata tables?), so I can see why the time investment there necessary would make it unlikely. But, would there be any utility methods for getting at the very least access to zlib and a base64 converter?

(I'm assuming Love has a zlib dependancy via PhysicFS)
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Inny wrote:Question.

Are there any plans to include some support for Tiled's map files? The LOVE way of doing things seems to be via mostly opaque objects (full userdata tables?), so I can see why the time investment there necessary would make it unlikely. But, would there be any utility methods for getting at the very least access to zlib and a base64 converter?

LOVE doesn't have any framework for real games, and hopefully never will (By default); I like LOVE as it is: simple & minimalistic. Maybe someone will create a game base for side scrolling / tiled games.
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Kaze wrote:

LOVE doesn't have any framework for real games, and hopefully never will (By default); I like LOVE as it is: simple & minimalistic. Maybe someone will create a game base for side scrolling / tiled games.
Agreed but I nevertheless believe that there should be one or more standard libraries to aid the community. Every game class, e.g. platformers, RTS', etc., has common elements between and in the respective classes. If we can, we should certainly collect functionality for such elements and improve upon them. I don't think this will work out if there is a specific person who administrates such a library, e.g. if they get tired of LÖVE or simply not as motivated as they initially were.

I would certainly like to see wiki pages or the like for such an initiative - any takers?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Kaze wrote:

I agree, for the most part. Lua itself can provide the code necessary for a framework. That's why I suggested the utility methods, so that the frameworks could be made. In the case of zlib, simple access to inflate would suffice. Lua can do the DOM parsing of the .tmx files, and maybe even the base64.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

heres a clunky core lua lib to en/de code base64, i checked it against a website, and another scripting language, and for the phrase "fuzzynuts" it encoded and decoded just fine in love

so, for tiled, the major hurdle would be the gz compression

~and~ the use for gz decompression in love is pretty limited to this one agenda, altho it is a pretty decent one, so no matter the outcome i would not be sad
Tad2020
Prole

Post by Tad2020 »

You could use an external module like [urlhttp://luaforge.net/projects/lzlib/]lzlib[/url]. But a better solution might be to convert the tiled map files in to native lua, they don't need to be compressed a second time since you'll already be compressing them in to the .love.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

The Lua Plugin for Tiled isn't very good. I should know, I wrote it.
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

rude wrote:@osgeld: Yeah, if you can tell me how. Using /subsystem:console in Visual Studio has the effect that you want, but it also causes the console to appear when running games by double-clicking, which is very undesirable.
Shouldn't stdout work just fine? Not sure what happens to the output if it's not run from a CLI (whether it just gets thrown away or redirected to a file), but stdout exists on all platforms and is part of stdio.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
Zergreth
Prole

Post by Zergreth »

Kaze wrote:Maybe someone will create a game base for side scrolling / tiled games.
I actually want to do that. Will probably take some time though :|